Dāna

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

AN 4.61

And what is accomplishment in generosity?
      Katamā ca, gahapati, cāgasampadā?

It’s when a noble disciple lives at home rid of the stain of stinginess, freely generous, open-handed, loving to let go, committed to charity, loving to give and to share.
      Idha, gahapati, ariyasāvako vigatamalamaccherena cetasā agāraṁ ajjhāvasati muttacāgo payatapāṇi vosaggarato yācayogo dānasaṁvibhāgarato.

This is called accomplishment in generosity.
      Ayaṁ vuccati, gahapati, cāgasampadā.

I thought of giving to others yesterday. I wanted to do it more flawlessly than before. So, I searched for some suttā which teach dāna. I wonder if there is any additional meaning in this phrase. If so, please let me know.

Lal
      Keymaster

You may find the following few suttas helpful:
      1. “Dānānisaṁsa Sutta (AN 5.35)
      – Next two suttas in that series are on the same subject.

2. A different aspect:
      Dānamahapphala Sutta (AN 7.52)

3. Benefits of giving will increase if given to honorable, especially bhikkhus. Of course, giving to Noble Persons with increasing magga phala will have higher merits peaking with a Buddha. But that does not mean giving to animals/poor people should be neglected. Give whenever possible and whenever a need is seen.
      Khetta Sutta (AN 8.34)

4. There are many suttas on the subject. Here is a search result at Sutta Central:
      526 results for dana
      – I randomly picked the above from the first page.

Note: I see that you don’t capitalize the title of a topic properly. That may be from the Korean language. The following website will make it easy. Just type the title in there, and it will give you a properly capitalized version:
      Title Case Converter

dosakkhayo
      Participant

OK. I’ll be careful with capitalization next time.

So dāna means giving and cāga means generosity, the two are different concepts.

Thank you for the recommendation of other suttā. I read them all.

But I still want to know the meaning of this part.

Idha, gahapati, ariyasāvako vigatamalamaccherena cetasā agāraṁ ajjhāvasati muttacāgo payatapāṇi vosaggarato yācayogo dānasaṁvibhāgarato.

Lal
      Keymaster

1. “So dāna means giving and cāga means generosity, the two are different concepts.”
      – They are not really two different concepts. But “cāga” or the desire give may be intensified when one realizes the unfruitful nature of worldly things.
      From “Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (SN 56.11)“:

“Now this is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering.
      It’s the fading away and cessation of that very same craving with nothing left over; giving it away, letting it go, releasing it, and not adhering to it.

Idaṁ kho pana, bhikkhave, dukkhanirodhaṁ ariyasaccaṁ—
      yo tassāyeva taṇhāya asesavirāganirodho cāgo paṭinissaggo mutti anālayo
      .”

2. “Idha, gahapati, ariyasāvako vigatamalamaccherena cetasā agāraṁ ajjhāvasati muttacāgo payatapāṇi vosaggarato yācayogo dānasaṁvibhāgarato.”
      – “Macchariya” is “extreme greed.” See #5 of “Cetasika (Mental Factors)
      – “muttacāgo” is to be “released from attachments” and become generous.
      – Those are two examples. It will take a long essay to fully explain. But as you learn Pali words, you will be able to glean the meanings slowly.
      – The English translation there gives a good general idea.

dosakkhayo
      Participant

Thank for the fruitful answer. It gives a lot to me.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.