Confusion about maha kappa

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lal
      Keymaster

Thie following posted by Zapper on August 24, 2020 at 9:44 am. It got deleted yesterday and I am putting in the relevant parts of the discussion:

According to this post: https://puredhamma.net/tables-and-summaries/31-realms-of-existence/ the length of a MK is roughly about 10 billion years but thats weird because if thats true we can look into the life longevity of Brahma Parisajja deva which is 1/3 MK which would be roughly 3.33 billion years but the longevity of Paranimmita vasavattī deva is 9.216 billion years and they are in a lower heaven which would be weird for them to have a longer lifetime than Brahma Parisajja deva.
      Also according to this post: https://puredhamma.net/sutta-interpretations/buddhist-cosmology-agganna-sutta/ the length of a MK is roughly 40 billion years which is a contradiction to the previous post.
      I hope you can answer me to clear thing out, thanks for your time in advance :)

Lal
      Keymaster

My response on August 24, 2020 at 10:17 am:

You are right.

The problem was that the lifetime of the Solar system is only 1/4 of a Maha Kappa.
      – During a Maha Kappa there are four phases: duration of the Solar system (about 10 billion years), destruction of it (about 10 billion years), remaining in that state (about 10 billion years), reformation of the Solar system (about 10 billion years).
      – Each of those four phases is 20 antakkappa.

I have revised the post, “31 Realms of Existence” to make that correction.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Lal
      Keymaster

Zapper’s response on August 24, 2020 at 11:39 am:

Thanks Lal now we’ve got things clear. However I’m also confused about the lifetimes of Parittabha and Appamanabha deva (2 MK and 4 MK) shouldn’t their maximum lifetime be 1 MK since everything under the Abhassara deva realm undergoes destruction within 1 MK.

Lal
      Keymaster

My response on August 24, 2020 at 5:59 pm:

I have revised both relevant posts:

31 Realms of Existence

Buddhism and Evolution – Aggañña Sutta (DN 27)

Thanks again for pointing out this issue.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.