Confirmed Arahants?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Rhys_H
      Participant

Hi guys,

I am currently rediscovering my interest in Buddhism, and have come across this site as I have felt a sense of frustration at some Mahāyāna practices, namely being very elusive about Nibbana and the ‘tagging on’ to the Buddha’s teachings of various esoteric practices and deities etc.

Theravada, by contrast, appears to me as being much more concerned with following teaching of the Buddha agreed to be authentic and close as possible to what he actually said. As such, it appears to me that Theravadins present more of a ‘scientific’ process of what to do to reach nibanna.

As such, where are all the Arahants? I have already come across an answer to this by a venerable bhikku who mentioned that people who achieve the state of Arahant are very disinclined to speak out about their experience of achieving Nibbana. However, logically, should there not be more documented cases of people reaching arahanthood?

Is this simply a cultural thing, as in countries and native adherents of Theravada, although having suspicions that their teachers are arahants, and less likely to voice this?

Blessings,

Rhys

Lal
      Keymaster

Welcome to the discussion forum, Rhys_H!

Yes. The Arahanthood is the ultimate achievement, which is the “perfect state”, once attained lasts forever, per Buddha.

I am not sure how familiar you are with Buddha Dhamma, the Theravada version. Even the Theravada version has been contaminated over the past 1500 years or so, and thus there may not have been that many Arahants in recent years, especially among humans (there could be more in other higher realms).

I discuss this in the post:”Incorrect Thēravada Interpretations – Historical Timeline“.

There has been a revival in recent years due to my Noble teacher, who passed away a year ago, likely as an Arahant: “Parinibbāna of Waharaka Thēro“.
      There are indications that there are many people now with at least lower stages of Nibbana (Sotapanna,etc), thanks to his efforts.

Also see the posts in the section: “Nibbana“.

Tobias G
      Participant

Hello Rhys,
      I want to encourage you to learn the pure Dhamma as presented here on the website. When you reach a certain level of knowledge and understanding you will start feeling niramisa sukha, the cooling down. As you proceed on the path dhamma will guide you and there is no way back. One feels the validity of the Dhamma and pieces fall into place. If one works diligently with an open mind, the stream entry is guaranteed.

Tobias

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.