Citta Vīthi and 9 stages of thought

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Lal.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sachin
      Participant

I am confused between Citta vīthi and 9 stages of a thought that you are referring in your posts.

Are they different representation of same thing… If yes can you compare 17 and/or 12 cittas in citta vitthi to 9 stages of thought.
      Or am I missing something totally. here

which is bigger, citta-vitthi or 9 stages. Which contains the other?

Lal
      Keymaster

1. A “vithi” means a “series.”
      – A single citta NEVER arises in mind.
      – A pancadvara citta vithi arises due to a thought object that comes via one of the five physical senses: eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and body. It has 17 cittas.
      – A manodvara citta vithi arises in the mind. It can have a variable number of cittas, but the minimum is about 12.

2. Any single citta goes through that 9-stage process. Yes. It is amazing.
      – Of course, only the mind of a Buddha can “see” such fast processes.
      – Each person can accept (or reject) such analysis based on the level of faith.
      – I accept it not out of blind faith, but I can see that Buddha’s analysis is self-consistent and can explain many phenomena in great detail. To get to that stage, one must spend time and understand Abhidhamma. I have recommended a couple of books in the post, “Abhidhamma – Introduction.”

P.S. Of course, it is not necessary to learn Abhidhamma. Learning Abhidhamma just makes it possible to investigate phenomena at deeper levels, and thus get a deeper understanding.

Sachin
      Participant

Ok, thanks.. Just to double comfirm.
      All the 17/12 cittas of particular cittavitthi. Has that 9 stages.
      And thus time span of citta vitthi is bigger then on 9 stage/ citta.
      I will have more question rwlated to this. Thats why i am confirming though i understood your point. Thanks again.

Lal
      Keymaster

You are welcome!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.