Cause and effect

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Lal wrote: “yōniso manasikāra means the “understanding of origins”: One with yōniso manasikāra knows the causes that lead to births in various realms, i.e., “bhava” and “jathi” are according to one’s gati;”

These last few days I have this strong urge to “understand of origins”. At first, I wasn’t even clear myself what this origin I was even trying to understand, besides what Lal wrote above. But now, it seems like I was trying to find the origin of avija and suffering or “that is how this whole mass of suffering arises: Evametassa kevalassa dukkhakkhandhassa samudayō hōti “

I don’t know if I’m over thinking things or thinking about something that’s not important or totally off the mark. But I feel like what I’m about to mention can help me gain a new level of understanding of Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta.

From what I have understood so far, if I were to use a word to describe everything in this world, including myself, it would be cause and effect or Paticca Samuppada.

I believe in order for causes and effects or P.S. to express itself, it needs “things” or a fuel to allow it to exist or continue to exist. What this fuel is, I believe it to be avija . . . An example is if there’s no fishes in this world, can an aquarium exist? Only when there are fishes then an aquarium can exist or can be called an aquarium. So this cause and effect or paticca samuppada can only exist or express itself due to avija, which starts all of the causes. If there’s no avija then there would be no creation or causes and in turn there would be no effects. Just think about how we create our own suffering and how we can put an end to it.

Some of the reason’s to support my thinking is the meaning of Paticca Samuppada.

Pati = bonding, icca = liking, Sama = same, similar, uppada = generation.

How I can read this is cause and effect wants to keep bonding itself (through avija, icca) so that it can keep generating itself. If cause and effect is avija itself, then that means the true nature of this world is avija and if any living being is not aware of it and attaches themselves to it, it’s bounded to suffer.

When one looks at the Avyakata P.S. at the end there’s still the “that is how this whole mass of suffering arises: Evametassa kevalassa dukkhakkhandhassa samudayō hōti “. To me, this means is that as long as there is cause and effect suffering will always be there.

As well from Sakkaya Samudaya, the 5 causes start with avija.

If cause and effect has no avija, tanha, icca, I can’t imagine something like cause and effect can exist or continue to exist.

It’s like this world or cause and effect is a rigged game, the rigging is avija. If one plays this game with avija, their bound to lose and suffer. The only way out is to know that we’re playing a rigged game (gain vija) and stop playing (nirodha). The kusala-mula p.s will take us out of this rigged game by helping us Satta’s become non satta’s, but will not destroy the true nature of cause and effect which is avija and always will be.

It’s like the normal flow of this world is avija, tanha and suffering. While Buddhist and possibility others are the one’s swimming against this flow.

I know there are still a lot of details to be work out and I don’t plan on working them out completely, because I know an only a Buddha would be able to work out all the details on what I just mentioned. But just getting the general idea of what I just mention, I believe I can gain a new whole new level of understanding of Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta tying all this together.

Is there any substance to what I just mentioned or does it make sense?

Lal
      Keymaster

“Lal wrote: “yōniso manasikāra means the “understanding of origins”: One with yōniso manasikāra knows the causes that lead to births in various realms, i.e., “bhava” and “jathi” are according to one’s gati;”

One way to see the origin of suffering is to see that it is the “craving for sensual pleasures (kāma)”.
      – An average human thinks that sensual pleasures are worth pursuing.
      – The Buddha taught that that mindset arises because of avijjā, not realizing that WILL lead to eventual suffering.

This is the “previously unheard teachings of the Buddha.”
      -See the recent posts: “Paṭicca Samuppāda – Essential Concepts

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.