Buddha Pooja

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Aniduan
      Participant

I would like to know how to perform Buddha pooja. In several desanas I read or listen to this is emphasized. If anyone can share the process or link to a source it would be extremely helpful.

Thank you.

Christian
      Participant

Buddha Pooja is practicing 8 fold Path

Lal
      Keymaster

Christian wrote: “Buddha Pooja is practicing 8 fold Path”

Of course, that is the ultimate Buddha Pooja.
      – However, it also sets the REQUIRED background for many people.

Note: Pooja is usually written in English as Pūjā. So, if you do a search in Sutta Central, for example, you need to use the word “Pūjā

The Maṅgala Sutta (Snp 2.4) starts with the verse:
      Asevanā ca bālānaṃ,
      paṇḍitānañca sevanā;
      Pūjā ca pūjaneyyānaṃ,
      etaṃ maṅgalamuttamaṃ

Translated: “Not to associate with fools,
      But to associate with the wise,
      And to honor those worthy of honor:
      This is the greatest good fortune.

The Buddha is the highest worthy of honor, thus Buddha Pūjā is of the highest merits.

There are several suttas in “Therāpadāna” where bhikkhus and bhikkhunis had recited the merits they acquired with Buddha Pūjā done in previous lives. The following is the English translation of one of them:
      Asanabodhiya
      – It has the following verse:

“In the ninety-two eons since
      I planted that Bodhi back then,
      I’ve come to know no bad rebirth:
      that’s the fruit of planting Bodhis.”

It is customary in Asian countries to go to the temple and offer flowers, incense, light candles, and recite the virtues of the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha (see below). It is done before sitting down to listen to a discourse by a bhikkhu. That helps sets the right mindset.

The easiest way to do a Buddha Pūjā is to recite the Supreme Qualities of the Buddha. Of course, I normally do all three every day: Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha.
      – See, “Supreme Qualities of Buddha, Dhamma, Saṅgha

The following booklet could be very useful. It goes into detail about various types of Pūjā. Note that the word Vandanā has the same meaning as Pūjā :
      Vandanā: The Album of Pāḷi Devotional Chanting & Hymns

Aniduan
      Participant

This is super helpful. Thanks Lal.

Lal
      Keymaster

You are welcome, Aniduan!
      – It is important to realize that these recitals should be done not as a ritual, but with understanding the virtues of the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha.

It is the javana power in one’s thoughts (citta) that power associated kammic energies.
      – That power comes from understanding those virtues, i.e., understanding the value of the Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha.
      – That, in turn, comes from understanding Dhamma.

See, “Javana of a Citta – The Root of Mental Power

LayDhammaFollower
      Participant

Greetings, Lal.

“In the ninety-two eons since

I planted that Bodhi back then,

I’ve come to know no bad rebirth:

that’s the fruit of planting Bodhis.”

Lal, How can we aquire such a huge merits?

What they could have done to aquire such a immense merits?

How did AnAriya came to have such a huge merits without deep ariya level understanding of the virtues of noble triple gem?

What are some hugely meritorious activities we can do everyday for purpose of creating conductive enviornment for Nibbāna?

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. Sometimes it is hard for us to understand how kamma vipaka works.

• In the “Acinteyya Sutta (AN 4.77)“, the Buddha declared, “Kammavipāko, bhikkhave, acinteyyo, na cintetabbo“.
      • It is one of four things that only a Buddha can fully comprehend, but any other cannot.

There is an account in the Tipitaka. Anathapindika was a wealthy person who built Jetavanaramaya for the Buddha, where the Buddha spent most of his life. During the dedication of Jetavanaramaya, a poor person was very much pleased with the event and was overcome by saddhā. He kept repeatedly saying, “Sādhu, Sādhu, Sādhu.” That is all he could do.

• It is said that both Anathapindika and that person were reborn in the same Deva realm when they died. But the poor person was born a more powerful Deva!
      LayDhammaFollower
      Participant

Thank you for that explanation.

can you answer the last question as well?

What are some hugely meritorious activities we can do every day for the purpose of creating a conducive environment for Nibbāna?

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. That is more important than being born in a Deva realm.

However, it depends on one’s current status.

1. If someone is still on the mundane path, engaging in meritorious activities such as giving is essential. That will enable one to avoid being reborn in a “bad realm.” Of course, one must also actively learn critical concepts like Paticca Samuppada, Tilakkhana, etc.

2. If one is on the Noble Path, one must focus on progressing on the path by cultivating Satipatthana/Anapanasati. Of course, one must also engage in meritorious activities, as well as keep learning Dhamma. They both help cultivate the Noble Path.

Since many people are uncertain about their status, it is best to pursue both.

Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

Some of the highest meritorious activities which prepares the conducive environment for attaining Nibbana (both in this life and in future lives) are as follows:

• Helping in the construction of Stupas/Chaityas/Pagodas which contains the relics of a Samma Sambuddha.
      • Worshipping the relics of a Samma Sambuddha.
      • Worshipping the Maha Bodhi Tree (Bodhi Puja).
      • Worshipping the Supreme Qualities of Buddha-Dhamma-Sangha (Buddha Puja).
      • Providing the 4 basic necessities (food, robes, medicines, shelter) to a Pacceka Buddha.
      • Providing the 4 basic necessities (food, robes, medicines, shelter) to a Samma Sambuddha.
      • Providing the 4 basic necessities (food, robes, medicines, shelter) to the Maha Sangha.

There are other meritorious deeds too, but these are the highest vipaka bringing merits. If you do these wholesome meritorious deeds with the aim of achieving Nibbana and with great joy in your heart, then the strength of the merits will be MAXIMUM. 

The special value of Lord Buddha’s relics and the Maha Bodhi Tree:

The relics of Lord Buddha CAN NOT be destroyed by anything or anyone in this universe. It has a special energy associated with it. It is the purest matter in the universe !!! There are many other special features about it which are known only to a Samma Sambuddha.

The Maha Bodhi Tree is the most exceptional tree in the entire existence. Actually from our physical eyes we can only see the physical aspect. But the Maha Bodhi Tree has an unfathomable non-physical aspect to it. It’s not just a tree but it is the focal point of the immeasurable Buddha Shakti (Pure Buddha Energy) !!! This special energy is still present even today. The Maha Bodhi Tree was born as a result of the accumulated Paramita Powers of the Bodhisattva.  A Bodhisattva can attain Buddhahood ONLY sitting under the Maha Bodhi Tree, there is no other place on Earth where it can happen. So it’s a very special place. The Mara Devaputta with all his mighty armies couldn’t even come near the Bodhi mandala (peripheral zone of the Bodhi Tree). We can’t even explain the special qualities of the Maha Bodhi Tree, it can be known only to a Samma Sambuddha.

You will be surprised but the original Bodhi Tree is not in India. It is actually in Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka where the Bodhisattva attained Samma Sambodhi. It is known as “Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi”.

May all sentient beings develop unshakable faith in the Buddha-Dhamma-Sangha and achieve the supreme bliss of Nibbana !!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Saket wrote: “You will be surprised but the original Bodhi Tree is not in India. It is actually in Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka where the Bodhisattva attained Samma Sambodhi. It is known as “Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi”

I had heard that the Bodhi tree in India has been destroyed more than once. I just asked Google Bard about that the following was the response:

“Yes, that is correct. The original tree under which Siddhartha Gautama sat is no longer living. It was destroyed by a storm in the 6th century AD. However, a descendant of the original tree was planted in its place, and this tree is still alive today. It is located in the Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya, India, and it is a major pilgrimage site for Buddhists from all over the world.

The Bodhi tree is a sacred fig tree (Ficus religiosa), and it is considered to be a symbol of enlightenment and wisdom. Buddhists believe that the Buddha attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree, and they often pray and meditate under the tree in order to gain its blessings.”

Then I asked: “Can you give a reference for that?”

Google Bard:

Sure. Here are a few references that confirm that the original Bodhi tree is no longer living:

• The Bodhi Tree: A History by Donald S. Lopez, Jr. (2012)
      • The Buddhist Path to Enlightenment by Walpola Sri Rahula (1974)
      • The Life of the Buddha by H.W. Schumann (2011)

In addition, the website of the Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya states that the original Bodhi tree was destroyed by a storm in the 6th century AD. The website also states that a descendant of the original tree was planted in its place, and that this tree is still alive today.

• Again, I don’t think we need to spend time researching such issues. But it is interesting. 
      • Furthermore, if anyone has supporting strong evidence for the Buddha was born in India, I don’t mind such information posted here. We need to keep an open mind.
      cubibobi
      Participant
      • Furthermore, if anyone has supporting strong evidence for the Buddha was born in India, I don’t mind such information posted here. We need to keep an open mind.

—–

I remember seeing this a while back, which looks convincing to me.

Lumbini, the Birthplace of the Lord Buddha
      https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/666

Best,

Lang

Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

The Bodhisattva was born neither in India nor in Nepal. And also he didn’t attain Buddhahood in India.

The real Shakya kingdom was neither in India nor in Nepal. It was in Sri Lanka. The Sinhala people are the direct descendants of the Shakya dynasty (in which the Bodhisattva was born). The Sinhalese people are the Shakya Putras.

Just as the hidden meaning of the critical concepts in Tipitaka had been hidden for many centuries, similarly the real places associated with Lord Buddha’s life was also forgotten. It will be hard to believe for many but the truth is that the Bodhisattva was born in Sri Lanka and he attained Samma Sambodhi in Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka sitting under Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi !!!

Most Ven. Waharaka Thero had confirmed this fact. A person with a special kind of Samadhi can experience the “Immeasurable and Pure Buddha Energy” continuously radiating from Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi in Anuradhapura even today. That is the biggest proof !

The Maitreya Bodhisattva (Future Buddha) will also attain Samma Sambodhi at the very same place. There is no other place on Earth where it can happen.

Lal
      Keymaster

Archeology has not provided enough evidence either way. Archaeologists have not done enough studies in Sri Lanka.

• The situation is similar to that of many other unresolved mysteries. Even though the mainstream position of archaeology is that humans evolved only recently, there is much evidence to the contrary. The Buddhist position is that evolution (specifically Darwin’s theory) is wrong. All types of births are dictated by Paticca Samuppada, not by evolution: “Buddhism and Evolution – Aggañña Sutta (DN 27).” Humans have existed forever, and they exist in other star systems too. This issue will be settled when they find evidence of life in other star systems and that lifeforms in them are similar to what we have on Earth. The closest star system is four light-years away (it will take four years to get there if a rocket travels at the speed of light.) Our rockets are like crawling ants! Just plug in the numbers and see.
      • However, there is no such concrete position that can be uncovered in the Tipitaka regarding Buddha’s birthplace.

Both issues are not critical to following the path. They can only become distractions. 

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Tobias G
      Participant

Wikipedia says, Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi is a twig-branch of the Bodhi tree in India. I guess the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi was never destroyed?

Lal
      Keymaster

Historical accounts of Sri Lanka, like the Wikipedia article Tobias provided, are based mainly on a Sri Lankan document, “Mahāvaṃsa.”

• As the above document states, ” It (Mahāvaṃsa) was first composed by a Buddhist monk at the Mahavihara temple in Anuradhapura in the 5th century CE.” The Buddha was born roughly 1000 years before that.
      • Further on, it states, “Working from Johnston’s manuscripts, Edward Upham published an English translation in 1833, but it was marked by several errors in translation and interpretation, among them suggesting that the Buddha was born in Sri Lanka and built a monastery atop Adam’s Peak.”
      • I have not taken the time to study these issues carefully, mainly because it is not a critical issue for me. But we can discuss whatever information is available. 
      • Hopefully, more reliable archaeological evidence will be uncovered in the future.
      Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

Archeology CAN NOT give a clear and accurate picture of historical events just like materialistic modern science CAN NOT explain the infinite and highly complex world of 31 realms. It is only possible to know by higher wisdom (Abhinna) which comes through purification of mind.

The historical accounts given in the Mahavamsa are mostly inaccurate. The Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi is NOT a twig-branch of Bodhi Tree in India. Its actually the opposite.

The Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi in Anuradhapura IS THE REAL BODHI TREE. The Bodhisattva attained Samma Sambodhi sitting here only.

The real Bodhi Tree CAN NOT be destroyed by anything or anyone in the universe because it is the focal point of the Pure Immeasurable Buddha Energy. 

I am not the right person to discuss this. But there is a time coming in the near future when Sri Lanka will be full of Arahants and the Buddha Sasana will shine brightly once again ! (There are beings with higher Paramitas for this purpose like our most Ven. Waharaka Thero). The world will witness great Arahants with six higher knowledge (including supernatural powers). The Real picture will become clear by then !

May all beings develop unshakable faith in Supreme Buddha-Dhamma-Sangha and achieve the Supreme bliss of Nibbana !!!

Tobias G
      Participant

Saket, as you say: “The real Bodhi Tree CAN NOT be destroyed by anything or anyone in the universe because it is the focal point of the Pure Immeasurable Buddha Energy.

Therefore I wonder if the Bodhi tree in India can be the real one. Everything in this world will be destroyed. But as written in Wikipedia, why shall it happen so early for the Bodhi tree in India?

Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

Dear Tobias Sir, 

It is true that “The Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi CAN NOT be destroyed by anything or anyone in the universe”.

At the end of this Buddha Sasana, the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi along with all the relics of Lord Buddha will disappear automatically. Before that time, they CAN NOT be destroyed. It is impossible to destroy or harm them.

As long as the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi and the relics of Lord Buddha are present, the Jati Sotapannas will keep coming to this human world and the Buddha Sasana will be kept alive (because the conducive environment for attaining Nibbana is provided by the “Immeasurable and Pure Buddha Energy” continuously coming from the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi). 

But after the disappearance of the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi and Lord Buddha’s relics, the necessary environment for attaining Nibbana will be gone and hence no Jati Sotapanna can come to this human world. This will mark the end of the Buddha Sasana of Lord Gotama Buddha. (even though the Tipitaka would be present but the Buddha Sasana would disappear from the human world) 

I hope it helped to answer your questions. 

Tobias G
      Participant

Dear Saket, is there any reference source for your above statement? In the Tipitaka or a commentary?

Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

The reference is taken from desanas of most Ven. Waharaka Thero. 

Believing or not believing is everone’s own choice. Its upto each one’s decision. I just presented the facts. I hope it helped you clear your doubts. 

May the blessings of the Noble Triple Gem be with you !

Lal
      Keymaster

I listened to a couple of discourses where Waharaka Thero discussed this issue. He said exactly what I have been saying. Let me summarize:

1. There is some evidence that the Buddha was born in Sri Lanka. But that cannot be proven or disproven with currently-accepted methods. There is no need to waste time on it. But it is necessary to have some idea about the historical background. For example, it is critical to understand the influence of Mahayana Buddhism that prevails to date. Much of this website is about trying to dispel incorrect interpretations introduced by Mahayana and gradually assimilated into Theravada.

• This incorporation of Mahayana concepts into Theravada started only 500 years after the passing away of the Buddha, and he predicted such a decline.  Thus, many of the doctrinal issues have been there for close to 2000 years. Fortunately, the last batch of Arahants wrote the Tipitaka just before the Mahayana influence emerged. I will write a post on it.

2. Some people pursue this issue with nationalistic instincts. That is wrong. The Buddha does not represent any nationality or religion. Buddha Dhamma is not even a religion.  A Buddha can only explain the “true nature of this world” and how to escape it. Anyone is free to either accept and follow his recommended path or reject it. In that determination, where the Buddha was born SHOULD NOT be a factor.

• This life is very short. It does not matter where you are born; what matters is what you can accomplish. 
      • All humans have similar capabilities across nationalities/religions/cultures.

3. Pursuing this issue only leads to confusion and an agitated state of mind for many. It takes precious time away from learning Dhamma and stopping future suffering.

4. There is a sutta where the Buddha discusses the following analogy. When an arrow injures someone, it is not wise to start looking into who shot the arrow, what kind of arrow it is, etc. What is urgent is to treat that wound. In the same way, it is foolish to spend time on this issue. Let us focus on learning/practicing the teachings of the Buddha.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      LayDhammaFollower
      Participant

Yes, I agree 100% with what Lal is saying. It does not really truly matter where The Buddha was born.

We don’t need to consider the birthplace of doctor curing our disease. As long as he is competent and capable.

Recently, I was hearing a sermon of amadassana thero.

He was explaining how ultimately it is wrong to say that “I” am human, “I” am male/female huma, “I” am of this nationality, “I” am son and daughter of this, This property belongs to “Me/I” etc. Which is of course 100% true.

Because, when there is no permanent entity/identity/essence in any inert/living matter, how can we talk about something belonging to that permanent entity? It would be wrong question.

I think we all need to think about this issues deeply.

Otherwise as thero says, “all things considered ‘mundane love’ is at least as bad as hatred”.

Even Buddha dhamma as relegion has not been completely exempt from violence. Some groups/individuals have taken up weapons in name of Buddha Dhamma! Which is sad, Because, Buddha dhamma is anything but!

This is result of having “mundane defiled impure love” for Buddha dhamma.

=== == ===

Again this is not meant for anyone in particular, but just some relevent comments.

TripleGemStudent
      Participant
      What are some hugely meritorious activities we can do every day for the purpose of creating a conducive environment for Nibbāna?

In addition to what was mentioned, if I have understood this correctly, I believe contemplating on anicca is the highest meritorious activity that we can do in our every day life. 

I don’t really know much or would like to comment too much on this topic, but thought of sharing an observation / comment. 

– “The Maha Bodhi Tree is the most exceptional tree in the entire existence”.
      – “You will be surprised but the original Bodhi Tree is not in India. It is actually in Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka”
      – “The real Bodhi Tree CAN NOT be destroyed by anything or anyone in the universe because it is the focal point of the Pure Immeasurable Buddha Energy.” 

If the real Bodhi Tree cannot be destroyed by anything or anyone in the universe, then the current or previous Bodhi tree located in Mahabodhi Temple in India cannot be the real Bodhi tree. Because it’s mentioned: 

“The original tree under which Siddhartha Gautama sat is no longer living. It was destroyed by a storm in the 6th century AD. However, a descendant of the original tree was planted in its place, and this tree is still alive today. It is located in the Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya, India, and it is a major pilgrimage site for Buddhists from all over the world.”

How can the real Bodhi tree be destroyed by a storm even when Mara and his army cannot even come close to it? This doesn’t make any sense.

If the original Bodhi Tree is actually in Anuradhapura, how do we reconcile with the materials that says / mentions the Bodhi Tree in Anuradhapura was brought over by Sangamitta Maha Theri from India? 

Since this issue or the question I brought up isn’t the most critical on the path. Currently I’m not really seeking an satisfactory answer, but just thought I would share my observation or comment. 
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.