Anariya Jhanas prolong the cycle of rebirths if they not used for magga phala

Tagged: 

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago by Gad.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gad
      Participant

IN BRAHMA WORLD, HE SHINES BRIGHT; IN PIG’S PEN, TOO, HE FINDS DELIGHT

An excellent proverb  !!!

This proverb is used in Burma. Many monks in this country use that to describe jhana without wisdom. They only temporarily remove kama ragā. As long as kama ragā is there, the suffering continues. I was reading one of the desana of the venerable Mahasi Sayadaw. Even if we find certain wrong translations in his desana, he is a great bhikkhu. He insists on the importance of ENDING the process of rebirth. See the anicca nature of jhana. They do not give lasting happiness. Attaining jhanas is useless if it is only to be reborn in a Brahma world and end up in the apayas afterward. Cultivating the path is better than developing all the Jhana without wisdom.

He uses this story in one of his desana.

Once, the lord Buddha smiled when he saw a sow (a female pig). Ananda asked him why. He said, “She was once a princess who gave up her wealth to become a yogi. She developed Jhana and was reborn in a Brahma world. After his death as a Brahma, now she is reborn as a sow. I smiled because I saw all her existences”.

(Please, if someone can find where we can find this sutta, that would be good.)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

It is in a Dhammapada verse; see #4 of “Why a Sotāpanna is Better off than any King, Emperor, or a Billionaire.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Gad
        Participant

Thank you for the reference Sir !

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.