About the Tipitaka

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Embodied
      Spectator

Hello

It might be useful to clarify the following : how should one envisage the Tipitaka ? As sacred scriptures Bible-like thus dogma pervaded, or as matter for reflection and research and whose content is susceptible of evolving in a way or another ?

Buddhism to me is not a religion.

Thanks

Lal
      Keymaster

You should read the first several (at least the first five) posts at:
      Historical Background“.

Embodied
      Spectator

I read the first 7 articles and found there the following that certainly answers my question :

“So, the premise of the Mahāyāna re-formulation of the Buddha Dhamma was to “refine and improve” the Dhamma of the Buddha. This is in sharp contradiction with one of the most fundamental concepts in Dhamma that only a Buddha can discover these laws of nature and BY DEFINITION, it is not possible to improve upon them. They themselves admit that a Buddha appears in the world after long times, and thus their attempt to change Buddha Dhamma is one of the basic contradictions in Mahāyāna.”

I agree it’s extremely delicate to try to reformulate the authentic Buddha Dhamma.
      It can perhaps be adapted (daily practice,formal sessions…) to the individual existential status but that’s all.

On the other hand Pure Dhamma content pushes one to channelled reflection and research, it’s irresistible.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.