About Sampappalāpā

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

Among the four immoral acts done with speech, the first three(Musāvāda, Pisunāvācā, Parusāvācā) have quite obvious harmful consequences. But in the case of Sampappalāpā, The danger of it seems somewhat elusive. I understood that this could be dangerous in that it leads to conditions that are easier to do other immoral acts by distracting the mind. But breaking this habit is quite difficult. If you are a householder, you have to participate in small talk that takes place in the process of maintaining social relationships with others to some extent. I’ve tried to act in a way that does not participate in such situations from the outset if possible. But it is still difficult, and I feel that further action is needed. So could you let me know if there’s anything else I can think about it that could help me get further away from Sampappalāpā?

Lal
      Keymaster

Sampappalāpā does not mean “small talk.”
      – You can see from some suttas that the Buddha himself first engaged one in “small talk” before that person would ask a question. That is being polite.

Palāpā mean “untrtuh” or “adhamma.”
      – When used in conjunction with “san” that also has implications of “lobha, dosa, moha.”
      Sampappalāpā probably derived from “san” and “palāpa.”

Sampappalāpā most often involves rattling off on funny, vulgar topics or where one is disputing the truth, i.e., dhamma.
      – Even in some serious discussions, when one takes a position against rebirth or non-existence of gandhabba, for example, that could count as sampappalāpā because that is making dhamma to be adhamma.
      – Not realizing the truth is not an excuse. This is why miccha ditthi is the worst type of akusala that can make one reborn in an apaya. That is because one’s actions, speech, and thoughts are based on wrong views.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

Thanks for the answer lal

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.