Abhivādemi

• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jorg.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hālo,

Anyone know the correct meaning of the Pāli word “abhivedemi”?

Much metta!

y not
      Participant

………

…or would it be Abhivademi ?

metta

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oh yes, thank you y not! It comes from the line in the dedication of offerings chant “Buddham bhagavantam abhivādemi”

Lal
      Keymaster

abhivādana means to “bow down (in reverence)”.

The following dictionary is the best that I found, even though it is not totally accurate:
      Concise Pali-English Dictionary by A.P. Buddhadatta Mahathera

abhivādemi means “I bow down”.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hmm, I was thinking it might be “abhi” which is strong + “vada” ??? + “mi” which is “I”.

Any thoughts about this idea?

y not
      Participant

Thank you Inflib,

I just googled the word and when nothing showed up I just permutated
      vowels in the word – not that I know anything about it.

Lal has provided what you sought.

Metta

y not
      Participant

Inflib,

.. I was thinking it might be “abhi” which is strong + “veda” ??? + “mi” which is “I”…

I do this -dissecting words – in all 5 languages I know and you hit it right no more than about 60% of the time, but if you get hooked on one that happens to be ‘off’ you get stuck there to no purpose. So now I look for the right meaning straightaway

Metta

Lal
      Keymaster

” I was thinking it might be “abhi” which is strong + “vada” ??? + “mi” which is “I””

• In this case, breakdown of the word does not work. It is just a word on its own.

” I just permutated vowels in the word – not that I know anything about it.”

• Very impressive! Pali words rhyme in a certain way.

The word comes in a popular Dhammapada gatha:
      Abhivadana silissa
      niccam vuddhapacayino
      cattaro dhamma vaddhanti
      ayu vanno sukham balam

Translated: “One who always respects and honors those who are virtuous and wise, is bound to receive (as kamma vipaka in future lives) four benefits of longevity, health, comforts and strength.”

Anonymous
      Inactive

Bohoma stūtiyi!

Jorg
      Participant

The other day, I was talking to a friend I meditated with back when I was into vipassana (Goenka style), and he was speaking of “energy.” Energy that can picked up on and transmitted to others. He also said that Buddha used energy in certain ways to let people see/feel stuff.
      That last seems to be related to abinna powers. Anyway, I’m just providing context for the question I have (not interested in the energy stuff itself, as I meditate in line with pure dhamma).
      He was able to ask an “Ajahn doctor” in Thailand about the Pali of the “energy” he was talking about. Then he sent me the phrase:

“cattaro dhamma vaddhanti
      ayu vanno sukham balam”

Doc said “balam” is supposed to refer to the “energy.”

Lal explained it’s part of:
      Abhivadana silissa
      niccam vuddhapacayino
      cattaro dhamma vaddhanti
      ayu vanno sukham balam

And provided the translation:
      “One who always respects and honors those who are virtuous and wise, is bound to receive (as kamma vipaka in future lives) four benefits of longevity, health, comforts and strength.”

I also saw the post just now of Two Versions of 37 Factors of Enlightenment

Are there any finer details to the verse?
      I got this after dissecting it:
      – Abhivadana is a term that denotes deep respect
      – Abhivadanasilissa refers to people who habitually act in this respectful way.
      – niccam is the opposite of anicca here?
      – vuddhapacayino refers to noble people I assume.
      – balam means “strength/wealth.” However, it is a mundane version and not similar to “panca bala.” That means physical strength/health and material wealth? If bala could refer to “energy,” it could be only in the mundane sense as in “an energetic person.”
      – ayu, vanno, sukha are also meant in a mundane sense (longevity, beautiful physical appearance, and pleasure/comfort)
      – vaddhanti = to increase or improve

Basically, the benefits of respecting/honoring the wise are meritorious deeds that will have (mundane) benefits. Does this verse also imply that this puts one in a more advantageous position of cultivating the path, e.g., cultivating an understanding of tilakkhana? Buddha uttered this verse, after all. But it all depends on the context I suppose.

Lal
      Keymaster

Jorg asked: “Does this verse also imply that this puts one in a more advantageous position of cultivating the path, e.g., cultivating an understanding of tilakkhana?”

Yes. Honoring (and taking care of) the wise (especially Noble Persons, parents, wise elders, etc.) helps set the necessary background to cultivate the Noble Path. It will help in this life and also in future lives.
      – One who cultivates such prerequisites (also including giving, cultivating metta, etc.) will lead to rebirths conducive to cultivating the path. One will be reborn to a family with the right background (so that one will be exposed to Buddha Dhamma) and have a long healthy life.

“Vuddhapacayino” comes from “vuddha” for elderly/wise, and “apacāyana” means to respect.
      – Those who honor and respect the wise/Noble will get to a (mundane) “nicca” state where one’s expectations (on making progress on the Path) can be expected to be fulfilled.
      – “Bala” here is not just physical strength but also “having enough resources” like enough health/wealth/wisdom so as not to be distracted from the Path.

Jorg
      Participant

Thank you for the very helpful addition, Lal

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.