Abhidhamma – Introduction

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Aniduan
      Participant

I think there is a typo in bullet 1 in this link: Abhidhamma – Introduction

When I add up the “basic units” it comes to 81. First reference to this number(highlighted) is typed as 82, should this be 81?

1. “Abhi” means “higher” or “deeper.” Thus Abhidhamma is a more in-depth, fundamental description of Buddha Dhamma.

The result is the same when compared with the material in the suttā, but Abhidhamma provides a “bottom-up” description of the existence, starting with 82 “most basic units” within the four ultimate entities of citta, cetasika, rūpa, and Nibbāna. That was a monumental task, and that is why it took almost 500 years to finalize it at the third Buddhist Council.
      The 81 “basic units” that make up this world are one pure citta, 52 cetasika, and 28 types of rūpa. Depending on the combinations of cetasika that arise with citta, there will be 89 (or 121) types of contaminated citta (or viññāna) that can occur. That will become clear as we discuss further.

Lal
      Keymaster

Hello Aniduan,

Thanks for taking the time to point it out. But it is not a typo.

The number of ultimate entities comes to 82 with Nibbana.

However, “The 81 “basic units” that make up this world are one pure citta, 52 cetasika, and 28 types of rūpa.
      – Thus, 81 refers ONLY to “this world.’
      – Nibbana is NOT in this world.

Aniduan
      Participant

I understand now. Thank you for the clarification Lal.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.