Reply To: Uppatti Kamma Bhava

Lal
Keymaster

Dosakkhayo wrote: “The rebirth process runs only by Akusala mula PS. So kusala kamma can not be the hetu.”

1. Any birth in this world (including any Brahma or Anagami) is due to avijja.

• Only an Arahant is free of all akusala. That is another way of saying only Arahants are entirely free of avijja.

2. The Buddha described only Paticca Samuppada (PS.) In the Sutta Pitaka there is no mention of “kusala-mula” or “akusala-mula” PS.

• PS leads to “temporary existences” within a life (one can act like an animal under some conditions.) Births (uppatti) in other realms can also be described within the same PS. 

3. If anyone can find any reference to “kusala-mula” or “akusala-mula” PS within the Sutta Pitaka, please let me know.

• The only place within the Tipitaka that mentions those words is the “Vibhanga Pakarana,” a Commentary. That also does not explain in detail. 
  • Even though I wrote about “kusala-mula” or “akusala-mula” PS in the early years, especially in the past year, I realized that breaking PS into various categories is unnecessary.
  • As we have seen in the recent posts (see, for example, #15 of “Purāna and Nava Kamma – Sequence of Kamma Generation”), even the separation as Avyākata Paṭicca Samuppāda and Akusala-Mula Paṭicca Samuppāda processes is just one process that is broken into two parts as purāna and nava kamma stages.
  • The main sutta that describes PS is “Mahānidāna Sutta (DN 15).” Then, there is a series of suttas starting with the “Paṭiccasamuppāda Sutta (SN 12.1).”
  • While other suttas refer to PS, I have seen no mention of “kusala-mula” or “akusala-mula” PS in any of those suttas either. That is because all rebirths can be explained with PS (see #1).

4. Any  Brahma is born in a Brahma realm because he had cultivated abhisankhara corresponding to that realm.

• An Anagami is born in a Suddhāvāsā Brahma realm because he still has avijja left to that extent.
  • All rebirths are due to PS starting with “avijjā paccayā saṅkhāra.”
  • An Arahant is not reborn in any realm because he has removed all avijja/anusaya/samyojana.
  • I will rewrite/revise some relevant posts when I get the time.

1 user thanked author for this post.