Reply To: Told a little differently

Lal
Keymaster

Hi Tobi,

Some of what you wrote is not correct. But please continue with your efforts to get a consistent picture.

Here is one example. You wrote, “So, if we now assume that we no longer have a human body, we would not have the five senses that trigger the Vatthu Rupas and the Mano Indriya with which we can receive dhammā from the Nama Loka. We would only have the Gandhabba, i.e. our Bhava body, and the Hadaya with the connection to the Nama Loka. (That would still be the Rupa Loka level or Rupa Dhatu level)”

1. A gandhabba can see and hear while outside the physical body; it can also receive dhammā from the nama loka.

• But a physical body is needed to experience the “direct contacts” of taste, smell, and touch. (Compare that to seeing a tree, which does not need to make contact with the physical body directly. Light bounces off the tree and brings “an image of the tree” to the eyes. In the same way, sound from a car reaches your ears as vibrations that propagate through air, again not a direct contact.)

2. The essence of a human is the gandhabba inside the physical body. If the gandhabba comes out of the physical body, that physical body is like a piece of wood. It does not sense anything. 

• The eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and nerves on the body’s skin can only help us detect external signals (sights, sounds, smell, taste, and touch). They receive those signals and pass them to the brain. The brain processes those signals to a form that can be understood by the gandhabba inside.
  • If the gandhabba comes out of the physical body, it can still see and hear, but without the help of the physical body, it cannot smell, taste, or touch anything. That is the experience reported by those who had “out-of-body experiences”: “Mental Body (Gandhabba) – Personal Accounts.”

3. The following posts may help clarify:

Gandhabba Sensing the World – With and Without a Physical Body” and “Our Mental Body – Gandhabba

4. It may be a good idea to have a summary page where you draw a picture and make notes to see how this complex process takes place.

• Let me know if you have any questions on what I wrote above.