Reply To: rupakkhandha vs saññākhandha

LayDhammaFollower
Participant

@Sachin

Saññā is not sadda Rūpa.

#1 All Rūpa (not RūpakKhanda) are made of five dhatus.

#2 Rūpa varies from very subtle levels to very dense level. World is made of Rūpa. Mind cannot exist without at least even small trace of matter.

#3 While PañcakKhanda are completely mental.

PañcakKhanda = nāma gotta + kamma bhava. (Kamma bhava = contains energised dhammā or kamma bija accumulated by that Lifestream.)

#4 While, Saññā is part of viññāṇa dhatu.

#5 When internal and external Rūpa, i.e. senses and sense objects makes contact, PañcakKhanda arises.

To understand what is happening at cittā/cetasika level during sensory event, I think you will need to delve into Abhidhamma details.

#6 Saññā is not completely related to words.

If you noticed, the post on saññā says “saññā = embedded meaning“.

For example, different people with different languages use different words for apple, but, when all of them are shown apple, they recognise it in same way.

#7 More data we have about something, more we can recognise and have precise and accurate saññā about it.

If we taste apple in addition to seeing it and also smell it as well, we would have even more precise “saññā” about “apple”. Next time we see apple, we will “recognise” what apple is and what apple is like 

#8 That is why Buddha said to cultivate Aniccā saññā.

Aniccā applies to all six dhatu, 31 realms, twelve āyatana, 28 Rūpa, PañcakKhanda, 11 steps of Paṭicca Samuppāda.

Everything is of nature of Aniccā/Dukkhā/Anattā.

===

question for Lal =

I think intuition is related to saññā, in some way, is that correct?