Reply To: Arising of Tanhā

Lal
Keymaster

Yes. These translations could be confusing because they don’t provide context. They mechanically translate suttas without understanding.

The point is clarified in the “Girimānanda Sutta (AN 10.60)” which lists 10 types of saññā where I linked.

Anicca saññā, anatta saññā, asubha saññā, ādīnava saññā, pahāna saññā, virāga saññā, nirodha saññā, sabbaloke anabhirata saññā, sabbasaṅkhāresu anicchā saññā, ānāpānassati.”

That verse needs to be explained in great detail. Here “trainee” or “sekha” is one on the Noble Path, i.e., Sotapanna Anugami through Arahant Anugami.

1. Why are there two types of anicca saññā?
– First, everyone (even non-trainees or average people) can cultivate anicca saññā at the level of abhisankhara.
– When a trainee gets close to the Arahant stage, that is when they can see the anicca nature of ALL sankhara, that is “sabba saṅkhāresu anicchā saññā, i.e., anicca nature of “all saṅkhāra.”
– See #1 of “Anicca – The Incessant Distress (“Pīḷana”)” for an explanation of ” aṭṭīyati harāyati jigucchati.”
– That phrase comes later in the sutta at this link: “Girimānanda Sutta (AN 10.60)

2. Also note: Right after that, is the tenth term “ānāpānassati.”
– If you keep reading, you can see that all types of “meditations” to be cultivated with ānāpānassati. Of course, Satipatthana is equivalent to Anapanasati.
– That should convince anyone that ānāpānassati is not “breath meditation”. That is an insult to the Buddha!
– At some point I will write a post showing how close Satipatthana is to Anapanasati. If one takes the time to read the two relevant suttas, that should become obvious. No need even to write a post!