Reply To: Meditation Techniques

raj
Participant

Hi TripleGemStudent,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I heard about Buddho breath several years back from a fellow vipassana student who mentioned that monks use this technique and I did not bother to try it, because Goenkaji discourages the use of words and mantras.
I heard the bhante’s talk several months back, and was occasionally doing it, then I heard another talk on the same subject some nights back, and to my surprise my mind was contemplating on the talk and I was doing Buddho breath even without making an effort when I woke up the next day. I sat for my meditation and continued doing it. During the day I had to make a conscious effort to stay on Buddho breath.
After reading your comment this morning and contemplating on it, I came to a wonderful realization!
This Buddho breath meditation is a great tool!
My mind is like a monkey with supersonic wings jumping from one thought to another, and I realized it has an on/off button (which is the Buddho breath meditation). I have the power to lock this monkey in a cage !
In the vipassana retreats,(when we were not meditating and were walking or doing some activities) we were trained to watch the breath and some sensations in the body. It does help stopping the mind from wandering, but I find the Buddho breath to be a far superior technique!
At this moment it is working great, and I hope it continues to do so. I have learnt not to take anything for granted in life!
The other subject matters you have discussed is also thought provoking and helpful.
Thanks again.

With Metta.