Reply To: Question about Avijjāmūlakakusalaniddesa from the Paticcasamuppadavibhanga

Lal
Keymaster

First of all, this topic is better suited for the Abhidhamma section. But it is too late now to move it there.

Regarding Question #1 and #2 of TripleGemStudent:

It seems that this section of Paticcasamuppadavibhanga MAY HAVE some mistakes.
– However, without spending a lot of time I cannot say for sure.
– As I mentioned in the earlier comment, within each Paticca Samuppada cycle, there are 4 sub-cycles. This is why the Buddha told Ven. Ananda that Paticca Samuppada can get to very deep levels. See, “Mahānidāna Sutta DN 15)” English translation there: “The Great Discourse on Causation
– The way it is written, it is very difficult to sort out the sequences involved in the 4 sub-cycles as I explained to Seng Kiat last year in an email exchange. Hopefully, that will make it clear somewhat. Obviously, this complex process cannot be described in a post or even a couple of posts. But you can get a rough idea of the complexity involved.

Seng Kiat:

In the Kusala-Mūla Paṭicca Samuppāda topic under #3, the “ viññāṇapaccayā nāmarūpa, nāmarūpa paccayā saḷāyatana, saḷāyatana paccayā phasso” should be replaced with “ viññāṇapaccayā nāmaṃ, nāmapaccayā chaṭṭhāyatanaṃ, chaṭṭhāyatanapaccayā phasso”.

The nāma and chaṭṭāyatana are mentioned only in the Vibhaṅga of Tipiṭaka Abhidhamma section 6 Paṭiccasamuppādavibhaṅga under “2.2 Kusalaniddesa 2.10.1. 2.10.1 Kāmāvacarakusalacitta 2.10.1.1. Mahākusalacitta”.

The chaṭṭāyatana is the sixth āyatana which is the mind (mano).

#6 nāma only without the rūpa.

#7 (nāma only) and #8 saḷāyatana also to be replaced with chaṭṭhāyatana.

My Reply:

This is a bit complex process that you mentioned. There are three more steps to it, to complete. You may be able to see that if you read further there.

The process that I describe in the post is the NET RESULT.

It is section 2. 2 Abhidhammabhājanīya close to the beginning of the webpage:
https://suttacentral.net/vb6/pli/ms

The KUSALA-MULA process that you refer to comes much later.

The Vibhanga (for some reason) explains ONLY the AKUSALA-MULA PS process in detail (over many pages until the KUSALA-MULA section that you refer to.

I would not have been able to figure that out if I did not have access to the discourses of Waharaka Thero. He explained that in detail.

As I said previously, “It is not easy to follow those 16 cycles. There are 4 cycles each for 2.1. Paccayacatukka, 2.2. Hetucatukka, 2.3. Sampayuttacatukka, 2.4. Aññamaññacatukka.

That means for four types of paccaya: paccaya, hetu, sampayutta, Aññamañña.
– As you can see there are four cycles (catukka) within each.”

Such a DETAILED analysis is NOT given for the KUSALA-MULA process.
– It just stops after the first step in a 16-step process.
– But if you go through the AKUSALA-MULA steps you may be able to see what I am trying to say.
– It seems that part of the Vibhanga did not get transmitted!
– It is too bad that Waharaka Thero is not there to ask.