Reply To: Translation

Lal
Keymaster

That section of the Vinaya Pitaka is an account of the timeline just after the Buddha attained the Buddhahood.

The meaning becomes very clear in the context. The Buddha realized that it is going to be VERY difficult to explain to the humans, Devas, and Brahmas the perils of attachment to sensual pleasures.

All living-beings are blinded by attachment to sensual pleasures.”
– That is the basic meaning of the verse that you quoted.
– But in word-by-translations, the meaning is not so clear.

Here is the relevant section:
“5. Brahmayācanakathā
Atha kho bhagavā sattāhassa accayena tamhā samādhimhā vuṭṭhahitvā rājāyatanamūlā yena ajapālanigrodho tenupasaṅkami. Tatra sudaṁ bhagavā ajapālanigrodhamūle viharati. Atha kho bhagavato rahogatassa paṭisallīnassa evaṁ cetaso parivitakko udapādi—

“adhigato kho myāyaṁ dhammo gambhīro duddaso duranubodho santo paṇīto atakkāvacaro nipuṇo paṇḍitavedanīyo. Ālayarāmā kho panāyaṁ pajā ālayaratā ālayasammuditā. Ālayarāmāya kho pana pajāya ālayaratāya ālayasammuditāya duddasaṁ idaṁ ṭhānaṁ yadidaṁ idappaccayatāpaṭiccasamuppādo; idampi kho ṭhānaṁ sududdasaṁ yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭinissaggo taṇhākkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṁ. Ahañceva kho pana dhammaṁ deseyyaṁ, pare ca me na ājāneyyuṁ, so mamassa kilamatho, sā mamassa vihesā”ti.”

Translation (with my edits of the first part):

“After seven days, the Buddha came out from that stillness and went from the ape-flower tree to a banyan tree, and he stayed there. Then, while in seclusion, the Buddha thought this:

“I have discovered this profound truth, so hard to see, so hard to comprehend. It’s peaceful and sublime, subtle, beyond the intellect, and knowable only to the wise. For living-beings who delight in sensual pleasures, find pleasure in them, rejoice in holding on to them, will find it hard to comprehend this deep Dhamma..”

I have skipped some unnecessary words and have translated only the meaning of the first part of the verse.