Reply To: post on Kusala-Mula Paṭicca Samuppāda

Lal
Keymaster

Yes. That was a good idea.

I have revised #2 of “Kusala-Mula Paṭicca Samuppāda” as follows:

2. One is born in this world due to the six root causes.

– One is born in the apāyā or dugati (and also subjected to suffering even when born in good realms) due to bad gati arising MAINLY due to lōbha, dōsa, mōha. The akusala-mula PS operates when actions, speech, and thoughts occur with these three root causes; see, “Akusala-Mūla Paṭicca Samuppāda. “
– One is born in the “good realms” or sugati (and also experience mundane sense pleasures) due to “good gati” developed by acting with alobha, adosa, amoha. For example, one can engage in “good deeds” like giving, helping out others, etc., or cultivate jhāna. Those are done with mundane versions of alobha, adosa, amoha and can lead to rebirths in human, Deva, and Brahma realms. – However, they WILL NOT lead to Nibbāna, i.e., stopping the rebirth process. 
– It is ONLY when one is acting with alobha, adosa, amoha (and comprehension of Four Noble Truths/Tilakkhana/Paṭicca Samuppāda) that those actions lead to Nibbāna via “Kusala-Mūla Paṭicca Samuppāda. “
– The above points are also discussed in detail in “Saṅkhāra – What It Really Means.”

Tobias wrote: “I think this sentence is misleading: “… Therefore, a moral person who has not comprehended Tilakkhana, when they generate alobha/adosa/amoha would still have lobha/dosa/moha ‘on the side, not directly.” (P.S. We could say they are there as anusaya, not coming to the surface)”

There is nothing wrong with what I wrote there. But what you wrote below that is correct too.