Reply To: Addressing need of listening to Desanas + My questions to Lal sir.

Lal
Keymaster

Hello Sotapanna anugami,

First, I am impressed that you have turned your mind to these issues at the tender age of fifteen.
– That is not an accident. It is possible that you have been fulfilling “paramita” in your past lives.

So, even though no one can be certain, it is quite likely that you have a tihetuka birth.
– That was one of the questions you asked.

From what you have written, you seem to have the necessary background to learn Buddha Dhamma.

But I just wanted to make sure that you understand the following.
– Just engaging in sense pleasures (especially eating good food or avoiding physical hardships) is not a hindrance to progress. In fact, one needs to be healthy to cultivate the path.
– The problem is CRAVING sensory pleasures. One with such cravings constantly thinks about MORE sense pleasures.

But the way to get rid of that craving is NOT through pure willpower, i.e., abstaining from good food, etc. to the extent that one becomes depressed or in some cases even becoming frail and sick.
Such cravings will naturally disappear as one learns deeper Dhamma.
– In particular, when one really understands Paticca Samuppada one will see extreme greed can lead to bad rebirths like in the peta (preta) or animal realms.

Yes. Learning the Sinhala language can be beneficial. However, one should not put that at the top of priorities. In particular, you should finish your studies and get a decent job to make a living. Of course, you can be fully engaged with learning Dhamma while you study.

As for English discourses, I have a set of discourses here: “Tilakkhana – English Discourses
– There is another, more basic, set in the “Living Dhamma – Fundamentals
– The “Living Dhamma” section has many posts on Pali.
– Those discourses are now old. I hope to do some more in the future.
– Also, the “Tables and Summaries” section has a glossary.

May the Blessings of the Triple Gem be with you in your efforts!