Reply To: Vedana – What It Really Means

upekkha100
Participant

Thanks for the new additions to that post Lal. Really appreciate it!

And that makes sense. Reminded me of the post on pabhassara citta:
Pabhassara Citta, Radiant Mind, and Bhavanga

Here is the quote from that post:
“Therefore, a “pabhassara citta” is that base state, or the pure state of a citta, BEFORE it goes through the 9 stages of contamination. It has only the 7 universal cetasika.

Each and every citta of a given person starts off as a pabhassara citta, but gets contaminated to varying degrees depending one’s personality or one’s advancement along the Path.”

My thinking:
Vedana starts off pure, not contaminated by tanha yet. At this stage vedana is not samphassa ja vedana yet.

Questions:
1) Is this initial uncontaminated vedana the amisa upekkha vedana?

2) Niramisa upekkha vedana is supposed to be the vedana experienced by Ariyas. Other than the anariya/Ariya aspect, what is the difference between amisa upekkha vedana and niramisa upekkha vedana?

3) What would the initial uncontaminated vedana that arises in a Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anagami be called? Would it be amisa upekkha or niramisa upekkha or something else?

4) Am I wrong to think that out of those 9 vedana, Arahants would have only 5 out of 9 of those vedana: sukha, dukha, upekkha, niramisa sukha, and niramisa upekkha vedana? I’d think they would have even eliminated the niramisa dukha vedana?