Reply To: Difference between Magga and Phala Citta

y not
Participant

Thank you Lal.

What is it that I am missing here? I apparently do not see that you addressed this in your reply:

How does the phrase attha purisa puggalā” refer to both:

1. “….they are referred to as “attha purisa puggalā” …Thus there are eight types of people belonging to the sangha. Who are the eight?”, and on to the listing them as those who have satisfied the conditions (Magga) and those who have reaped the fruits (Phala) of the four Stages – Sōtapanna, Sakadāgāmi, Anāgāmi, and Arahant.” Again, “how is it that they (the four Magga stages) warrant the 4 (of the 8) ‘types of people’, since they cannot be found (because they have by then already moved ON to the Phala stage). How are there eight here when 4 (the 4 Magga) exist only for the duration of a chitta? This is my question. The four do not exist but for the duration of a chitta. How do they belong to the Sangha if they do not exist but for the duration of that chitta. How can you ‘salute a chitta’? This is what I mean.

and (at the same time) to:

1. Thus it is clear that “attha purisa puggalā” consist of the eight Ariyas (Noble Persons): Sōtapanna Anugāmi, Sōtapanna, Sakadāgāmi Anugāmi, Sakadāgāmi, Anāgāmi Anugāmi, Anāgāmi, Arahant Anugāmi, and Arahant.” With this I have no problems.

Infinite gratitude