Reply To: What is dukkha dukkha?

firewns
Participant

Thanks to Lal, Akvan and Seng Kiat for your responses.

In one of the suttas, I think, The Buddha and Venerable Ananda personally tended to a sick monk who was covered in his own waste, because none of the other monks wanted to get near him. (This is just one of the many reasons why I deeply love and revere The Buddha so much!)

In such a case, the intention was to relieve a man of his sufferings, and not at all a quest to avoid dukha vedana or to seek sukha vedana. It was also not an activity to maintain the lives of The Buddha Himself or Ananda. Would The Buddha and Ananda experience sankhara dukkha for this act?

Would the effects of this action bring different results for the Buddha and Ananda, who was not yet an Arahant at that time? I am thinking that the Buddha did an act that was neither kusala nor akusala for Him, since he had no more defilements to remove, and could not commit an akusala act. As for Ananda, I think that it was a kusala kamma act for him.

Do people who help others out of kindness experience anicca, dukkha and anatta? Even if they are not seeking sensual or jhanic pleasures?

For example, compassionate doctors who help sick patients for free or at a greatly reduced price sometimes lose their patients to death. Are anicca, dukkha and anatta inherent even in helpful, compassionate and moral activities, as long as they are done in an imperfect, samsaric world?

Thanks so much again in advance to Lal, for your answers to my questions. I know I have been asking many questions of late, and I hope that it does not take too much of a toll on you. Please take care, Lal!