Re-written August 29, 2022
1. The deep meaning of “Manō pubbangamā dhammā, manō setthā manōmayā” is that the mind is the origin of everything. This is unfathomably a strange statement at first, but when one studies Abhidhamma, it becomes clear why this is true.
- Before I get into the details, it is important to know that some scientists are beginning to realize that the mind could be the precursor to matter. Even though they cannot yet make the right connection, they can see that the reality has to be that way. It will be interesting to see how much progress they can make without approaching the problem other than from Buddha Dhamma.
- Let us listen to these “new ideas” from a special group of scientists. They are new ideas from their perspective since they have not been exposed to Buddha Dhamma.
2. In the following video, a group of scientists discusses why the time has come to change the paradigm:
3. Here is a presentation by Dr. Robert Lanza, whose book “Biocentrism” basically says that life did not arise from matter (universe). Still, the universe arose from life (pretty much agreeing with the Buddha Dhamma):
4. In addition, philosophers are joining the discussion as well: Thomas Nagel, “Mind & Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature Is Almost Certainly False” (2012). The following is a lengthy review of this book.
- Even though some scientists and philosophers are beginning to realize that the mind could be the precursor to matter, they have no idea HOW that happens.
5. However, the Buddha explained that the mind creates EVERYTHING in this world via Paticca Samuppada.
- Up to now, we have only discussed how Paṭicca Samuppāda explains the rebirth process for living beings. See “Paṭicca Samuppāda.”
- But Paṭicca Samuppāda can also explain the formation of planetary systems in the universe. In the future, I will start writing about that process.
- Also, see “Manōpubbangamā Dhammā..” and the references therein.