Vedanā of Vipāka

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Lal.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Zapper
      Participant

Hello friends.

My question is:

Is it wrong to enjoy a kamma vipaka (meaning it should have neutral vedana) or we just need to not be attached to it (meaning we cannot do without it), but it could be a sukha vedana?

Lal
      Keymaster

I think you are asking the following: We attach to sukha vedana with greed (raga) and dukkha vedana with anger or resentment (patigha.) We also like to “enjoy” a neutral vedana because it gives us “peace of mind.”

• So, it is a subtle point, but a puthujjana attaches to a neutral vedana with ignorance (avijja.) That is because a puthujjana does not understand the “true nature” of the evolvement of a citta to the vinnanakkhandha stage, which we discussed in the current post “Citta Evolving To Viññāna And Viññākkhanda In Nine Steps.”
      Zapper
      Participant

Does that mean enjoying a sense object makes one’s mind defiled?

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes.

• The reason is subtle, but the main point is the following: We all have a “suffering-free” (pabhassara) state of mind deep inside us. Until we comprehend that fact and learn how to “uncover” that “suffering-free” (pabhassara) state of mind, ALL our actions move our minds away from it.
      • That was discussed in the following thread: “Validity of current interpretation of Satipatthana Sutta.”
      • You (or anyone who has not understood that) should read that thread, at least from my comment on July 30, 2024 at 9:26 am.

That issue is at the heart of the Buddha’s teachings. 

Zapper
      Participant

Yes, I did read the post, but I am confused on why simply enjoying a sense object causes suffering.

Does enjoying a sense object automatically make us greedy and addicted to it?

Also I read one sutta where the Buddha said that the Bhikkhus are fortunate to experience likable sense objects.

You can read it in 1-2 minutes.

SN 35.135: Khaṇasutta—Bhikkhu Sujato (suttacentral.net)

What do you think about the sutta and why does one have to give up enjoying the senses to enter nibbana or even Jhana?

Yash RS
      Participant

Sensuality starts from the mind Vexing. And if you are able to provide relief to that mental vexation, you will feel pleasure.

That is not true happiness but merely relief from mental burning. So enjoying something means that you were craving for it(mental vexation) and now you have got it. That relief is felt as”enjoying”. You have to suffer initially to “enjoy” such things by generating wanting( vexation). True happiness is the state when one doesn’t burn from the mind. So he won’t get affected by such sense objects because the mind is neither wanting nor having aversion .

To enter jhana one needs a “stable” mind, that doesn’t wander around. If you enjoy sensuality then the mind is not at rest and can’t be concentrated.

Lal
      Keymaster

Zapper wrote: “Yes, I did read the post, but I am confused on why simply enjoying a sense object causes suffering.”

• So, you did not understand the discussion there.
      • Of course, it is not easy to understand. We are used to thinking in terms of “human logic.” But Buddha’s teachings are based on a different set of fundamentals/axioms. 

I tried to explain that recently, in another thread: “Tipitaka Validity.”

• Specifically, see my comment on August 18, 2024 at 10:35 am.

P.S. The following post has a simpler explanation: “Is It Necessary for a Buddhist to Eliminate Sensual Desires?

dosakkhayo
      Participant

MN 115 Bahudhātukasutta @16.1

Sukha vedana only originate from good kamma.

Dukha vedana only originate from bad kamma.

__

What type of vedana is experienced during a rape?

Is it entirely samphassa-ja-vedana?

But samphassa-ja-vedana necessarily comes after vipaka vedana.

Is the vipaka vedana in such a situation a good feeling?

If so, does that vipaka originate from previous good kamma?

Instinctively, I don’t think so, but it’s difficult to refute this.

Lal
      Keymaster

This is a complex issue. Some (a few) enjoy it, too. I think over-analyzing such cases may cause more questions without much benefit. 

• Some questions will be answered as one makes progress. 
      1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.