Sotapanna and a Vow

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 hours ago by Lal.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

The following question is one that was forwarded from the Pure Dhamma Korea community.

Q1. After death, where are individuals who have attained sotapanna more likely to be reborn – in the deva realm or the human realm?

Q2. It seems that a sotapanna might make a vow to be reborn in the human realm as many times as possible, with the wish that Buddha Dhamma could remain longer in the human realm. However, such a vow could potentially be an obstacle to achieving higher maggaphala. How should we understand the dilemma that arises in this case?

Q3. Can a human noble one (ariya) of sakadagami level or higher be reborn in the human realm after death by making a vow?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

The meaning of “vow” is a “pledge.” 

• According to Buddha Dhamma, things happen due to causes and conditions, not due to a “pledge.”

However, one could possibly make an effort and prepare suitable conditions to be born in a Deva realm rather than in the human realm. The first two are complex questions that I am not qualified to answer. Probably, only a Buddha can answer such questions.

• It is a matter of cultivating “manussa gati” versus “Deva gati.”
      • Generally, a Deva birth is possible for those who engage in punna kamma. But one can make sure to be born in a Deva realm by attaining the Sakadagami stage, i.e., by losing kama raga to some extent.
      • If one constantly thinks about the idea of remaining in the human realm to help other humans, that could possibly become a factor.
      • Of course, one must be a Sotapanna to be free from the apayas; that involves the elimination of the three ditthi samyojana.

Q3: No. By definition, a Sakadagami will not be reborn as a human. They will be reborn in a Deva realm and attain a higher stage from there.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

The following is one that was forwarded from the Pure Dhamma Korea community.

Thank you for your response.

It gave me the intuitive sense that this is not a dilemma.

Now I believe that the only way I can contribute to the longer preservation of the Buddha Dhamma in the human realm is to deepen my understanding of the Four Noble Truths and to do my best in practicing the Noble Eightfold Path.

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes.

• One can also help preserve Buddha Dhamma in the human realm by teaching or exposing others (those who are willing to listen) to the correct teachings of the Buddha.
      • At least some (those willing to make an effort) can benefit.
      • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Lal.
      2 users thanked author for this post.

Good householder,

do one not forget that “beings are owner of their actions” is an important aspect of right view.

And returning to sensual sphere requires food, e.g. requires sacrifices, dukkha of others.

And Devas can, could, appear to humans, of what they seldom do, as there are seldom those with required virtue and Nissaya, able to receive encouragement. So why desire to return? Wishing to help plow fields or give birth?

Again burden others womb, birth, pain, blood, learning, feeding, burden others, disease… seeking for gross food, breaking apart.

This path here is for own benefit and that of all others. Good to abond doubt, good to abound desires to gain relay on sensuality ever again.

(Samana Johann)

Lal
      Keymaster

To Samana Johann:

Your comments may not convey the ideas you are trying to convey. I am not sure what you are trying to say in the above comment, for example.

• I suggest using a word processor to correct the grammar and clarify the ideas.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.