Revealing Nirodha Samāpatti – Delson Armstrong

• This topic has 22 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Lal.
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Amin
      Participant

Theruwan saranai.
      Hello everybody.
      Long ago, I come across this explanation of jhanas, and I found it to be quite helpful.
      The teacher is Anagami, probably.
      He can stay in Nirodha Samapati for up to 6 days!

Revealing Nirodha Samāpatti – Delson Armstrong, Shinzen Young, Chelsey Fasano, & Dr Raikkonen

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

“The teacher is Anagami, probably.”

• How can an Anagami get into nirodha samapatti?
      • One must be an Arahant to get into nirodha samapatti.

Can you provide the time stamps in the video where he gives evidence that he can get into nirodha samapatti? 

• More importantly, where (what time in the video) does he talk about what is meant by nirodha samapatti?

I guess all those are discussed in the second video.

Amin
      Participant

It’s for the second video.

20:57 – Delson’s side of the story
      23:37 – Rigorous training in ‘jhana hopping’
      25:42 – Delson’s account of the lab tests
      28:26 – Timing the exit from jhana using meditative intentions
      29:45 – Remaining in nirodhia samāpatti for 6 days

Lal
      Keymaster

It is just he is saying stuff. Can you or he answer the following questions:

1. Where is the evidence? Do they show the brain scans?

• If the brain scans show no activity, he is experiencing an “asanna state” where one does not feel anything.
      • That is not Nibbana or nirodha samapatti.

2. Does he say he is an Anagami or Arahant?

• Does he say he has lost “kama raga“? For example, can he watch an adult movie without getting sexually aroused?

Amin
      Participant

In this video, he briefly mentions he doesn’t have any cravings.
      2:00

It’s difficult to know if he’s anagami or not.
      But their 6r’s method does work.
      If anybody likes testing stuff, and then thinking. Then go ahead and do it. that’s what I did.
      At first, I thought they were all liars.
      What I did was just put the 6Rs in my usual practice. I was in jhana quite easily!
      It’s probably related to that relaxing step they use.

Lal
      Keymaster

What is the ultimate goal for you?

• Is it to enjoy the jhanic experiences?
      • Can you describe your jhanic experience? Which jhana can you get to?
      Amin
      Participant

“What is the ultimate goal for you?”
      Nothing less than ultimate reality, absolute truth or whatever they call it. At the very least anagami.

“Is it to enjoy the jhanic experiences?”
      NO. After some injuries, I realized Jhana was not that reliable and i couldn’t get to a deep state of mind anymore.
      That’s why I searched for better methods. Googled it, and ended up here. It’s been a year since I’ve been studying the site. thank you.
      As for this post I just wanted to introduce 6r’s it’s not a new thing. It’s a right effort that everybody knows + relax.
      It can be used for vipassana too. That’s how I’m using it right now. Not the object of meditation, but method 6rs alone.
      The object of my meditation for both jhana and vipassana has always been the sound of Nada, some call it the sound of silence.
      How to use it for vipassana has been explained by Ajahn Amaro. For entering jhana you should apply 6rs. Other method out there can cuz serious harm. I’m still experiencing the side effects.

“Can you describe your jhanic experience?”

If you are using this sound to enter jhana, then it’s going to be super fun, based on how deep you are in jhana or samadhi. The tune and its volume changes. letting you know where you are and where you going.
      When it comes to this sound there’s a lot to say.
      As for jhanic experiences, the deeper you go the more the body becomes air-like, usually the perception of solidness goes away. Beginning from the foot. In some cases the body seems to get very tall and strange, there are a lot of strange things that happen don’t know where to begin. Usual experiences are a light body and a sense of comeness. Sometimes extreme joy delight. Some time still and quit, free from usual blabbering thoughts.
      In higher states extraordinarily balanced mind, doesn’t grab at things like sounds with hate or lust, at that point usually below the neck is not felt. And strangely it seems that the usual feelings in my chest have moved, I remember some sort of energy from my chest going through spin on top of my skull, at the 3 or 4 jhana.
      A lot of strange stuff, hearing bell-like sounds in both ears, not from physical objects…

“Which jhana can you get to?”
      3 or 4. It’s not that hard to get to this state. I don’t know whay everybody says it’s hard. It’s probably the method. Just sit 2 hours on each setting 1/5 even 1 hour 3 to 4 times a day. Walking works too, I remember being in a very busy city with the sound of cars and all, still my mind was in some deep state. My body was like air while walking and I could hear the nada in the background.

Sorry for the late answer. English is not my first language.
      And sorry for my lazy answers. There’s a lot I want to say, but language, this old phone, and my broken English; kind of stopping me.

Thank you.

Lal
      Keymaster

Thank you for your descriptions.

• I would like to know how you get into a jhana. What is the procedure?
      • The easiest way would be to post the link to a video of your instructor providing instructions. 
      cubibobi
      Participant

I have not watched the video posted on this thread, but I happen to know of this method or technique (if we can call it that) of the 6Rs. It is also called TWIM (Tranquil Wisdom Insight Meditation).

It was the teaching from the late bhikkhu Bhante Vimalaramsi at Dhamma Sukha Meditation Center:

https://www.dhammasukha.org/the-6rs

In this link there is a video instructions of the meditation:

Instructions for Metta or Lovingkindness Meditation and the 6Rs by Bhante Vimalaramsi

There are many talks by Bhante Vimalaramsi on Youtube about metta bhavana that leads to jhana.

My guess is that Delson Armstrong is now the principal teacher at Dhamma Sukha.

Best,
      Lang

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Thanks, Lang.

I watched the second video, which does give the instructions. They are very simple (six R’s): Recognize (bad thoughts), Release, Relax (with mundane metta), Re-assemble?, Return, Repeat.

• So, it is another variation of the breath mediation. Instead of focusing the mind on the breath, focus on “spreading metta.”
      • In a way, it is an improvement over the neutral breath.

How easy is it to get a jhana using this method? Please comment if anyone other than Amin has used this method. Amin says it is easy.

• Is one supposed to do “insight meditation” to attain magga phala? That is the next question. 
      • If there is an instruction video on that, please post it. I would like to see what that involves.
      cubibobi
      Participant

After Relax, it is “Re-smile” — intentionally putting on a smile before returning to the object of meditation (metta) after a distraction. The Bhante did say that he put the smiling step in there himself since he found it helpful.

A very popular talk from the Bhante is this one:

What is a Jhana? Commentaries vs Suttas – Meaning?

At around 27:35, he said how easy it was to get to the 1st jhana.

At around 22:00 he talked about smiling.

From about 1:00, he talked about how one moves from jhana to jhana and then to nibbana (by seeing “dependent origination”).

Personally, at one point I listened to Bhante a lot although I did not practice this, at least not as the main practice. I must say it did bring a sense of calm fairly quickly, but then I directed that calm mind to contemplating anicca, dukkha, anatta, although near the end of the talk the Bhante said that one cannot see nibbana via seeing anicca, dukkha, anatta.

Lal
      Keymaster

Thanks, Lang. 

• I watched the video until Bhante started talking about Paticca Samuppada. I am afraid he does not understand it.
      • That is all I needed to know. 

So, this is not any better than Goenka Vipassana!

• I get depressed when I see how little of Buddha Dhamma is being taught. It is a sad situation.
      • Whether people can get to anariya jhana is not a factor at all. We all had attained the highest jhanas uncountable times in our past.  
      3 users thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

I forgot to explain how I concluded Bhante did not understand Paticca Samuppada (Dependent Origination.)

• He discussed it starting at 35 minutes in the video Lang posted: “What is a Jhana? Commentaries vs Suttas – Meaning?
      • It is a very superficial explanation. In particular, at 37 minutes, he describes “bhava.” I don’t think he understands it. 
      • He says bhikkhu Bodhi translates “bhava” as “experience,” and bhikkhu Silananda translates it as “habitual tendencies.” None of them seem to understand it, even though bhikkhu Silananda’s translation is better.
      • Bhava” is the “kammic energy” or “kammic potential” that can bring rebirths or “various mental states during a life.” That energy is generated via “avijjā paccayā saṅkhāra; saṅkhāra paccayā viññāna; viññāna paccayā nāmarūpa” steps once getting to the “taṇhā paccayā upādāna” step he just went through. See “Taṇhā Paccayā Upādāna – Critical Step in Paṭicca Samuppāda” and “Upādāna Paccayā Bhava – Two Types of Bhava.”
      • If there is another video where he explains Paticca Samuppada (and “bhava“) better, I would like to watch it.
      • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Lal.
      cubibobi
      Participant

Here’s a very short one, but I think it captures the essence of the Bhante’s teaching.

In the “6R” method the Bhante taught he often emphasized the “Relax” step. In the video he talked about the “tightening” of the mind at the “craving” step, so relaxing is relaxing of that “tightening”.

Dependent Origination Explained – A Key Buddhist Teaching

If you do a search on Youtube there should be much longer videos of the Bhante about paticca samuppada.

Lal
      Keymaster

I wrote: “It is a very superficial explanation.”

• This video does not change that.

P.S. Please post videos only if they explain Paticca Samuppada, including the concept of “bhava.”

P.P.S. I just saw a video by Bhante entitled “Breathing Meditation – New Perspective: Sattipathana Sutta – Part1.” Of course, I did not watch it.

• I don’t think I need to see more videos or anything else on this topic.
      • Anyone who called Satipatthana “Breathing Meditation” would not know much about Buddha’s teachings.
      Christian
      Participant

As someone who has experience, I need to address certain things to make clear because you need to live through certain things to be able to relate to it.

1) This person is a jhana practitioner (anariya), I can tell just by looking – it’s a skill that is gained through many years of meditation. As army men can recognize army men, as criminals can recognize criminals, at a certain level there is a shift in the way presents himself. The person did not attain Nirodha Samapatti which is exclusive to Arahant, let’s get this first straight. When I attained arupa jhanas I thought it was nirodha too because of the last jhana, this misunderstanding comes from not understanding Dhamma properly. I think at the level of Sotapanna one should realize no matter how high or low the experience is and see thru it for what it is – even if the person lacks theoretical understanding, one sees “this is it” and “this is not it”, people who are anariya yogis/jhana achievers do not have this distinction and can not see the true nature of experience which makes them wrongly call things for what they are. So when such a person attains the highest he can, he thinks of himself as “enlightened” – this happened at the times of Buddha when he was looking for teachers.

2) Not having carvings is different than realizing Nibbana and not having the desire to be reborn. His idea of not having carvings is the result of him having cravings fulfilled by jhana – not being free from them because of understanding Dhamma. It’s very easy to overestimate your position when you have wrong views. If you experience a certain level of sense pleasure and high you will be content for a long time ie. not having carvings in a mundane way but in reality they are still there. This is why is important to have real wisdom, insight, and experience because you easily can misunderstand your own experience without proper realization. That’s why it’s important to have real Dhamma, if you go through key aspects of this site and understand what is said here you will know his experience is anariya experience, still, I’m not downplaying it but it’s not permanent the solution so do not confuse it with Dhamma achievements.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Christian.
      Christian
      Participant

Amin on August 31, 2024 at 4:38 pm: “If you are using this sound to enter jhana, then it’s going to be super fun, based on how deep you are in jhana or samadhi. The tune and its volume changes. letting you know where you are and where you going.
      When it comes to this sound there’s a lot to say.
      As for jhanic experiences, the deeper you go the more the body becomes air-like, usually the perception of solidness goes away. Beginning from the foot. In some cases the body seems to get very tall and strange, there are a lot of strange things that happen don’t know where to begin. Usual experiences are a light body and a sense of comeness. Sometimes extreme joy delight. Some time still and quit, free from usual blabbering thoughts.
      In higher states extraordinarily balanced mind, doesn’t grab at things like sounds with hate or lust, at that point usually below the neck is not felt. And strangely it seems that the usual feelings in my chest have moved, I remember some sort of energy from my chest going through spin on top of my skull, at the 3 or 4 jhana.
      A lot of strange stuff, hearing bell-like sounds in both ears, not from physical objects…”

This is not even the first jhana, those experience means your body, mind, and method are immature – this is what a beginner experiences before reaching 1st jhana.

_______

Amin on August 31, 2024 at 4:38 pm: “3 or 4. It’s not that hard to get to this state. I don’t know whay everybody says it’s hard. It’s probably the method. Just sit 2 hours on each setting 1/5 even 1 hour 3 to 4 times a day. Walking works too, I remember being in a very busy city with the sound of cars and all, still my mind was in some deep state. My body was like air while walking and I could hear the nada in the background.”

Please do not delude yourself, this is not even the first jhana – your energy gets affected negatively and weirdly because of the lack of a proper teacher and understanding of the practice. Real jhanas has very fixed experiences, what you explain is a very immature approach to meditation ie. being a rookie and over-estimating yourself. I wish you the best, though.

Lal’s note: Please make sure to indicate whom you are quoting. I entered that above.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Lal.
      Yash RS
      Participant

Dear Christian, could you please share the methods of how you attained jhanas and what one can do to attain them in the easiest way possible relative to other methods?

I want to practice them in order to try to attain higher stages.

Christian
        Participant

For anariya jhana anything can be used as long as you can keep your mind relaxed and focused on an object. Objects that relax you will work better. Formless objects will bypass rupa jhanas and you will start with arupa jhanas.

Jittananto
      Participant

What kind of objects do you use? When you have your objects, do you have to stare at them for a long time? I have another question which arupa samapatti do you reach 1, 2, 3 or 4? The last one concerns his powers like seeing one’s past lives and exiting through one’s body. Have you reached them?

I only know the jhānas in theory, in practice it is empty. Sorry for the large number of questions. I am also fascinated by these Jhānas, even though I have been warned about them.

Christian
        Participant

I probably used more than 100 objects in my practice (variations of the same objects often) – one needs to find an object that works with your mind’s quality. Also, I forgot to add that an ascetic lifestyle is important, you pretty much need to have a disciplined morality. No sense of pleasure of any kind, no bad things, and pretty much cut off from the world besides things you need/must do. If you try to attain jhana without actually having half to half a year without a solid base of discipline you will be wasting time unless you have high rebirth (still need to do the same to progress). I can not speak about Arupa much because many imposters would make claims – if they make true claims it would be harder to verify them and if someone has a wrong idea about jhanas and their claims it’s easy to debunk (that’s just my personal thing). I didn’t attain samapatti in any jhana but the majority of the jhanas were without samapatti.

About powers is that in arupa jhanas you feel god-like, it feels like you can do anything but because of the nature of your experience, you are not bothered to even do stuff like that because of certain factors you experience and see. In the story of Brahma and Buddha when Brahma thought he reached the peak, it’s clear in that state why.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Christian.
      Jittananto
      Participant

Thanks for the detailed explanation.😁 As you mentioned, without strong discipline, it can be a waste of time. I attempted to practice Jhānas with a transparent Kasina but couldn’t see a Nimitta. I could only remain calm for about an hour before my bad temper and Kāma ragā resurfaced and disturbed my tranquillity. It’s truly inspiring and interesting to converse with someone who has this kind of practical experience, rather than just theoretical knowledge. Thank you once again for sharing. I hope this experience helps you reach Nibbāna as quickly as possible! 🙏🏿

Lal
      Keymaster

Taking any “lokiya nimitta” (an object belonging to the world) as a meditation object (nimitta) is an anariya meditation (as Christian emphasized). 

• Once Ven. Ananda asked the Buddha about that, and the Buddha explained it in detail. See “Saññā Sutta (AN 11.7).”
      • Ven. Ananda asked: “Siyā nu kho, bhante, bhikkhuno tathārūpo samādhipaṭilābho yathā neva pathaviyaṁ pathavisaññī assa, na āpasmiṁ āposaññī assa, na tejasmiṁ tejosaññī assa, na vāyasmiṁ vāyosaññī assa, na ākāsānañcāyatane ākāsānañcāyatanasaññī assa, na viññāṇañcāyatane viññāṇañcāyatanasaññī assa, na ākiñcaññāyatane ākiñcaññāyatanasaññī assa, na nevasaññānāsaññāyatane nevasaññānāsaññāyatanasaññī assa, na idhaloke idhalokasaññī assa, na paraloke paralokasaññī assa, yampidaṁ diṭṭhaṁ sutaṁ mutaṁ viññātaṁ pattaṁ pariyesitaṁ anuvicaritaṁ manasā, tatrāpi na saññī assa; saññī ca pana assā”ti?
      • The translation there can be improved as., “Could it be, bhante, that a bhikkhu might gain a samādhi like this? They would not focus their minds on pathavi (as using a clay ball in kasina meditation) by “taking in” the “pathavi saññā” OR āpo (as using a water bowl in kasina meditation) by “taking in” the “āpo saññā” OR tejo (as using a fire in kasina meditation) by “taking in” the “tejo saññā” OR vāyo (as using air in breath meditation) by “taking in” the “vāyo saññā” ..
      • For example, “breath meditation” takes the saññā of air as the nimitta: “vāyosaññī assa.” 
      • The rest of the verse similarly is on arupa samapatti. For example, to cultivate ākāsānañcāyatana arupa samapatti, an Ariya will not focus their mind on “infinite space.”
      • P.S. At the end of the verse, Ven. Ananda asked whether a samādhi can be attained without taking any nimitta associated with this world (this realm or any other realm). The answer is yes.
      • @marker 5.1, the Buddha explains that an Ariya (Noble Person) takes the “cooling down/ultimate calmness of Nibbana” as the nimitta: “‘etaṁ santaṁ etaṁ paṇītaṁ, yadidaṁ sabbasaṅkhārasamatho sabbūpadhipaṭinissaggo taṇhākkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānan’ti.”

P.P.S. This is also why saññā is a critical concept in Buddha Dhamma. All saññās associated with this world are illusions or mirages, as we have discussed:Sotapanna Stage via Understanding Perception (Saññā).”

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.