On Vipallāsa (Diṭṭhi, Saññā, Citta) Affect Saṅkhāra

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Lal.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      pathfinder
      Participant

Vipallāsa (Diṭṭhi, Saññā, Citta) Affect Saṅkhāra

Post: All three types of vipallāsa about nicca and atta disappear at the Sōtapanna stage. However, only the diṭṭhi vipallāsa about sukha and subha goes away.

Isn’t complete understanding of Anicca achieved at arahant stage? And that the sotapanna should still continue contemplating on anicca dukkha anatta and not just dukkha only?

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. That post needs revision. I will get it to it ASAP. Thank you!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      pathfinder
      Participant

Ven. Waharaka Thero also touches on this in this Desana

At 8.46 he says that only Ditthi Vipallasa is removed at Sotapanna stage for anicca. At 9.15 he says that all ditthi, sanna and citta vipallasa of anatta is removed at sotapanna stage.

However at 9.36 there is contradiction as he says that all vipallasas for anicca and anatta are removed at sotapanna stage. He then says that sanna and citta vipallasa remains for dukkha and asubha.

This is an english translation, which is why there may be some contradictions in the translation.

Lal
      Keymaster

Even though ditthi and sanna vipallasa are critical concepts, only one sutta discusses the types of vipallasa: “Vipallāsa Sutta (AN 4.49).”

• There are some descriptions in the Tipitaka Commentaries. 
      • I feel that some of the related suttas have been lost. The Tipitaka survived only because some civil servants of the British government in Sri Lanka and other Asian countries collected and preserved whatever copies they could find. See “Preservation of the Dhamma.”
      • However, we can compile a coherent description using related material from other suttas. I will try to do that in the revised version of the post “Vipallāsa (Diṭṭhi, Saññā, Citta) Affect Saṅkhāra.”
      1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.