Is my understanding of Tilakkhana correct?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Waisaka
      Participant

Hi dear Lal.

I want you to correct my understanding of the path and Tilakkhana.

As I understand, all material and mental phenomena (NAMARUPA) contained in the world (31 realms) are conditioned and they have 3 general patterns (tilakkhana), and continue to rotate like the law of conservation of energy correlated with (paticcasamuppada) avijja paccaya sankhara..

And all beings in the world will continue to revolve in samsara.

Then the Buddha explained the 4 noble truths..

1. The existence of dukkha = as long as beings revolve in samsara, beings suffer more because they have illusions (avijja) and are not aware of the tilakkhana of the mode of life..

2. The reason for the emergence of dukkha = I think the seed from the emergence of this dukkha is avijja, and the fertilizer is asava which causes tanha which is a package of kilesas until upadana (paticcasamuppada) appears tanha paccaya upadana

3. Cessation of dukkha (suffering that actually revolves around samsara) = when this seed (avijja) is destroyed then we meet absolute liberation (nibbana), in (paticcasamuppada) vedana pacaya tanha. We can realize Vedana and we can cut it, namely by realizing feelings of liking or disliking panna which are TRAINED and DEVELOPING (point 4).

4. the 8th element middle path = well, these are the paths that we must practice and develop. 

Firstly, in my opinion, there are two correct views, if the correct view is only to believe in the existence of rebirth and the law of karma, this is still a worldly way. 

if the understanding concerns tilakkhana and paticcasamuppada then that is the path of an arya..

For a trained mind, it is done by doing anapanasati bhavana every moment as possible, and for a developed mind, it is by contemplating tilakkhana and the 4 truths themselves and their correlation with paticcasamuppada..

This path is also the same path that will lead to sotapanna, sakadagami, anagami and ARAHAT, only the contemplation and depth of each level is different. 

1.  My first question is magga & phala.

Magga here means Path? 

Magga redemption is understanding the essence of the purpose of the path’s behavior and phala is the moment when one realizes the meaning and effect of the loss of vipallasa, an example of becoming samma ditthi?

As we know the solution to the calculation 3×2 = 3+3 or 2+2+2.

2.  My second question is Tilakkhana. 

As far as I understand, these 3 patterns are one unit, they cannot be separated because if there is 1 then the others are also included..

Something that is conditioned (namarupa) 

it is not satisfying in the long term because it can change, falter, be impermanent, be destroyed, then suffering arises and it is useless/worthless/helpless/cannot be used as a place of support. 

For example, a car (rupa) will not always be satisfying because it can be damaged, scratched, and that will lead to suffering (if you don’t accept the reality you will suffer because you will be stressed in this life and end up in apaya because it gives rise to abhisankhara). And it’s a useless thing, not useful, not mine, can’t be used as support/protection.

Example of feelings/vedana (name) feelings depend on the object and our ability to respond to it, feelings can change very quickly, they can be happy or annoyed. It will never be satisfying in the long term, if you fight for it longer it will lead to a lot of suffering (happy becomes greedy and annoyance becomes hate). And it will lead to a lower realm, useless, not belonging and helpless if you rely on feelings.. 

Dear Lal, are my questions and statements correct?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Question 1: “Magga here means Path?”

• Yes.

By the statement, “As we know the solution to the calculation 3×2 = 3+3 or 2+2+2” if you mean 2 for magga and phala, then there are 8 for the four stages of Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anagami, Arahant.

Question 2: Yes. The description is generally correct.

You are making progress. Keep it up!

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Waisaka
      Participant

Question 1: “Magga here means Path?”

• Yes.

By the statement, “As we know the solution to the calculation 3×2 = 3+3 or 2+2+2” if you mean 2 for magga and phala, then there are 8 for the four stages of Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anagami, Arahant.

Question 2: Yes. The description is generally correct.

You are making progress. Keep it up!

Hi Lal, thank you very much.. I was really helped😊🙏

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.