Reply To: Post on “Phassa (Contact) – Contact With Pasāda Rupa”

Lal
Keymaster

1. A sensory input is received in “short duration packets” (of about one hundredth of a second duration), processed by the brain and forwarded to the “seat of the mind” or hadaya vatthu.

2. In the above process, the “mansikaracetasika (one of the seven universal cetasika that arise in every citta) plays a significant role. It performs the tasks of (i) separating the two different sensory streams (in watching a movie) and (ii) connecting the packets of each stream in the order received and making sense of both streams. Thus, we feel like we see the movie and also hear the dialogue simultaneously.

• This “mansikaracetasika is also responsible for recalling relevant memories. For example, while watching a movie, one may recall a different old movie with one of the actors.

_______

Now, let us address the issue brought up by Dosakkhayo. His question was:

• When I am paying for my groceries, my thoughts stay focused on that transaction. But there can be many types of viññāṇa lurking “in the background”. I may be building a house, studying for an exam, planning a trip, planning a birthday party for my child, etc. and all those “viññāṇa” are working in the background even though I am not thinking about any of them at the time I am paying for my groceries.

Q. How does the background operation of vinnana occur? Is this related to purana kamma?

______

3. Dosakkhayo: “When I am paying for my groceries, my thoughts stay focused on that transaction.”

• That is exactly right. However, you may also recall a previous related transaction. For example, you may realize that the price is significantly higher now and ask the cashier why.
  • Here, it is the “ekaggatacetasika (another universal cetasika that arises in every citta) that keeps the mind focused on one task. The “mansikaracetasika is responsible for recalling any previous related memories (that remain as namagotta in vinnana dhatu.) These two cetasika keep the mind focused on the task at hand (or the arammana) and extract any related memories.

4. Now, when you finish the groceries and start driving to get back to the house, your mind will be focused on that task. 

That should give some basic ideas. 

1 user thanked author for this post.