Reply To: Aṭṭhi Saññā

Lal
Keymaster

It is a short sutta, a “Thera Gāthā” uttered by an Arahant  “Siṅgālapituttheragāthā:

Ahu buddhassa dāyādo, bhikkhu bhesakaḷāvane;

Kevalaṁ aṭṭhisaññāya, apharī pathaviṁ imaṁ;

Maññehaṁ kāmarāgaṁ so, khippameva pahissatī”ti.

Translation:

“There was an heir of the Buddha, a bhikkhu in Bhesakaḷā forest,

who suffused the entire earth with the perception of “anicca saññā(meaning he would not generate kama raga for anything on Earth) 

I think he will quickly eliminate sensual desire (kāma rāga.)”

The critical point is to realize the following:

• There, aṭṭhi saññā means to realize the futility of craving things that induce kāma rāga, i.e., to cultivate anicca saññāfor “sensual objects.” 
  • The “Aṭṭhikamahapphala Sutta (SN 46.57)” states that one who cultivates aṭṭhika saññā can become an Arahant or at least an Anagami: “Aṭṭhikasaññāya, bhikkhave, bhāvitāya bahulīkatāya dvinnaṁ phalānaṁ aññataraṁ phalaṁ pāṭikaṅkhaṁ—diṭṭheva dhamme aññā, sati vā upādisese anāgāmitā.” Here, “aññā” is an Arahant.
  • The English translations of aṭṭhi saññā as “perception of bones” in the first sutta and “perception of a skeleton” in the second sutta in the above links are wrong. One cannot become an Arahant by contemplating “bones” or “skeletons.”

The meaning becomes evident in the “Girimānanda Sutta (AN 10.60)“: “Idhānanda, bhikkhu sabbasaṅkhāresu aṭṭīyati harāyati jigucchati.” I have explained this verse in #10 of “Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta – According to Some Key Suttā