Reply To: Useful Essays from DRARISWORLD and Other Websites

Jittananto
Participant

Please tell me if what I say is correct.

• It is only at the arahant stage that one is free from all desires towards the 4 types of food which are kabalinkāhāra, phassāhāra, mano sancetanāhāra and viññānāhara. This is why he will not be reborn anywhere after his death.
  • An anagami has only eliminated the desire for physical food (Kabalinkāhāra). The other three will lead him to be reborn in a pure abode.
  • The Sakadagamin and Sotāpanna have these desires intact or weakened. However, they will never commit any akusala acts to enjoy these 4 types of food.
  • Puthujunas possess an extreme desire which leads them to commit akusala acts to enjoy one of the types of food. An example of a situation that applies to Puthujunas: “I will only be at peace after having tasted this cake, even if it means hitting this person to steal it.” He feeds his thoughts of greed and starts thinking of a plan to get it and enjoy the taste of this cake. A psychopath, for example, may feel extreme pleasure in his mind while torturing a being. He can say that his thoughts are stilled (mano sancetanāhāra), after committing a murder. He feeds his mind with the other three types of food in an immoral manner.
  • All beings below the arahant stage nourish their mind in one way or another, whether moral (the Ariyas and certain Puthujunas) or immoral (the majority of puthujunas) which will lead them to pleasant or unpleasant rebirths.