Reply To: post on Vipallāsa (Diṭṭhi, Saññā, Citta) Affect Saṅkhāra

Lal
Keymaster

1. Sometimes, analyzing things in too much detail can lead to more questions than answers.

• I prefer to resolve critical issues as much as with the Sutta Pitaka and the critical concepts of the Abhidhamma Pitaka.
  • The Vinaya Pitaka is mainly on issues with Vinaya (disciplinary) rules and incidents that led to specific Vinaya rules. Many of those accounts can provide additional information, but they are not critical.
  • I never look at Commentaries outside the Tipitaka. I resort to even the Tipitaka Commentaries only if necessary. 
  • However, I am not saying to avoid consulting Tipitaka Commentaries.

2. I think we can get a good understanding of various types of “vipallasa” mostly with the aid of the Sutta Pitaka.

• Understanding “sanna vipallasa” (arising due to “distorted sanna“) can resolve many issues. It helps with the other types of vipallasa too.
  • I prefer to discuss the posts that have been published rather than trying to analyze passages from the Commentaries. 
  • If there are issues that are contradictory or unclear or need further clarification, please ask specific questions by pointing to a post and specific bullet numbers.
  • However, if you feel strongly about a specific passage in a Commentary, I can take a look.
1 user thanked author for this post.