Reply To: Useful Essays from DRARISWORLD and Other Websites

Lal
Keymaster

First, Gad, don’t direct a question just for me. Just ask the question so that others can answer, too. That will lead to more discussions rather than me giving my interpretation/explanation.

1. Regarding the sutta translation you linked to, here is another, still mostly incorrect, translation: “Dutiyasaññā Sutta (AN 7.49).”

• The seven types of saññā discussed in the sutta: “Asubha saññā, maraṇa saññā, āhāre paṭikūlasaññā, sabbaloke anabhiratasaññā, anicca saññā, anicce dukkha saññā, dukkhe anatta saññā.”
  • It will take at least a couple of posts for me to provide even a brief summary.

2. Let me give you a few examples:

• asubha” does mean “foulness” in the link you gave or “ugliness” in the link I gave. It is about the “unfruitfulness” of worldly things that appear enticing due to our “distorted saññā.”
  • āhāre paṭikūlasaññā” is translated in your link as “perception of loathsomeness in food” and “perception of the repulsiveness of food” in the link I gave. This “āhāra” does not refer to the “physical food” we eat. It refers to “mental food”. See “Āhāra Sutta (SN 12.11).” Again here, the translation of “Kabaḷīkāro āhāra” as “solid food” is incorrect; it should be our food cravings.

3. This is why even the current mainstream Theravada is way off, at least the currently available English versions. Of course, there is nothing wrong with the Tipitaka Pali version. The problems are with the translations.

• But the issue is that I don’t have enough time to correct each incorrect/incomplete translation. 
  • Instead, I need to focus on the posts I write to make sure you understand them. I give priority to those questions.
  • Of course, you can ask general questions on any topic. But leave the question open so that someone else can provide the answer. I will also answer such general questions whenever I have the time. 

4. However, those seven types of saññā (listed in #1 above) are to be cultivated to OVERCOME the types of “distorted saññā” that arise in a puthujjana

• We have been discussing the subject of the “distorted saññā” in recent posts: “Sotapanna Stage via Understanding Perception (Saññā).”
  • By studying that series (more to come), you will hopefully learn how to cultivate the seven types of saññā listed above.
2 users thanked author for this post.