Reply To: This mine, I am this, this my Atta.

Lal
Keymaster

TGS wrote: “From reading the paragraph, it seems like it would still be of benefit for a Sotapanna to mediate on netaṁ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attā’ of the five aggregates and on the other dhatu’s like in the Mahārāhulovāda Sutta.”

• Contemplating the correct translation of “‘etaṁ mama, esohamasmi, eso me attā’ ti” (i.e., pancupadanakkhandha is  “mine, of myself, or can be beneficial for me?”) is part of the contemplation of the anicca nature. 
  • That must be cultivated at any stage, i.e., even at higher stages of magga phala. The anicca nature is fully comprehended only at the Arahant stage. One gets a glimpse of it at the Sotapanna Anugami stage, and thereafter, “anicca sanna” increases at the higher stages.
  • As one’s understanding increases, one can connect it to the perception of a “self” or “I” (the Pali word here is not “attā“). The Pali words for I, me, and mine are aham, mē, and mama.
  • This is discussed in the new post “Etaṁ Mama, Esohamasmi, Eso Me Attā’ti – What Does It Mean?