Reply To: Post On Kāma Guṇa – Origin of Attachment (Tanhā)

Lal
Keymaster

I am not sure why you keep quoting this particular translation. Strictly speaking, there is nothing wrong with the word-by-word translation. But it needs to be evaluated in the context of someone below the Anagami stage.

“Yaṁ kho, bhikkhave, ime pañca kāmaguṇe paṭicca uppajjati sukhaṁ somanassaṁ—ayaṁ kāmānaṁ assādo.”

Your quoted translation: “The pleasure and happiness that arise from these five kinds of sensual stimulation: this is the gratification of sensual pleasures.”

Then you wrote: “Would Lal sir or anyone here disagree with me or feel that I’m mistaken if I believe / said or taught based on what I just quoted in Pali and the English translation that sukha, somanassa, piti “can” or “does” arise from kāmaguṇa and the sukha, somanassa, piti that arises from kāmaguṇa is kāma assāda?”

• Yes. “..sukha, somanassa, piti does arise from kāmaguṇa.
  • Yes. “..sukha, somanassa, piti that arises from kāmaguṇa is kāma assāda.”

But for both those to hold, kāmaguṇa must arise in the person. That does happen in the case of a puthujjana and even in the case of a Sotapanna/Sakadagami because both are not released from the kama loka

• But that will not happen to an Anagami/Arahant since they are released from the kama loka, i.e., they will never be reborn in kama loka.
  • But unless an Anagami or an Arahant is in a jhana samapatti or a phala samapatti, they will still have the “kama sanna,” as I explained above.

Anyway, I plan to discuss these issues in upcoming posts.