Reply To: Post On Kāma Guṇa – Origin of Attachment (Tanhā)

TripleGemStudent
Participant
I would like to share some of my current thinking and understanding of kamaguna for feedback and scrutiny. Currently without going into all the / further details that I have in mind and if I were to give a quick explanation on kāmaguna, kāma assāda, kāma and the connections between them, it would be that;  

Kāmaguna = are 5 sense objects that a living being in the kama loka regards / considers / views / experiences as “iṭṭhā kantā manāpā piyarūpā kāmūpasaṃhitā rajanīyā” or likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasant, sensual, and arousing. And when we regard / view / considers / experiences one of the 5 sense objects with the 6 characteristics “iṭṭhā kantā manāpā piyarūpā kāmūpasaṃhitā rajanīyā”, kāma assāda arises. 

Kāma assāda = is the piti, sukha, somanassa or the “gratification” that arises from kamaguna.  

Currently one of the reasons why I believe kāma assāda arises from kāmaguna is based on what’s translated in the sutta’s.

Yaṁ kho, bhikkhave, ime pañca kāmaguṇe paṭicca uppajjati sukhaṁ somanassaṁ—ayaṁ kāmānaṁ assādo.

A) The pleasure and happiness that arise from these five kinds of sensual stimulation: this is the gratification of sensual pleasures.

B) Now the pleasure and joy that arise dependent on these five cords of sensual pleasure are the gratification in the case of sensual pleasures.

C) Whatever pleasure, whatever happiness arises in consequence of these five strands of sense-pleasures, this is the satisfaction in sense-pleasures.

From reading and contemplating on the English translations, I get the idea that kamaguna is kama assada and vice verse. Kamaguna which is one’s own avija, tanha relating to the 5 sense objects is the source of or what gives rise to kama assada. Both kāmaguna and kāma assāda are both mind made! 

What I just mentioned about kāmaguna is kāma assāda and vice verse is of great importance to me and would like to ask for other’s thoughts and feedback. 

Kāma = is the intention of seeking or clinging to kāmaguna or kāma assāda. When one isn’t directly experiencing the 5 sense objects as kāmaguna, kāma is what generates / regenerates the experience of the 5 sense objects that are likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasant, sensual, and arousing or kamaguna’s which gives rise to kama assada.

*** So basically when we experience kāmaguna, it gives rise to kāma assāda (this is an automatic process) and then we carry out or engage in kāma (which we have control over) to continue experiencing or regenerate kāmaguna and kāma assāda. ***

Some other observations for scrutiny and feedback.

Kāma is like vaci sankhara, while kāmaguna is like mano sankhara. 

Kāma is like upadana, while kāmaguna is like tanha. 

Kāmaguna is samphassa ja vedana and kāma is what perpetuates samphassa ja vedana.