Reply To: “Upadana” for Dhamma — Waharaka Thero sermon

Jorg
Participant

In the following sermon – ඉහාත්ම සුඛ විහරණය සහ ආනාපානසතිය | With English Subtitles (starting at 11:05) –Waharaka Thero does indeed address the pasado and adhimokko steps.

However, I’d like to raise awareness to two other points from that sermon:

1. Starting at the 11:05 mark, Venerable Waharaka states that, until death, an Arahant follows the kusala-mula PS (based on alobha, adosa, amoha). Then, starting at 13:43 he includes āneñjābhisaṅkhāra
  1. He proceeds to speak about āneñjābhisaṅkhāra for about five minutes until the 18:00 mark.

A quick summary based on the subtitles (For full context please check the video!):

• He says āneñjābhisaṅkhāra are kammically neutral.
  • A listener mentions that āneñjābhisaṅkhāra are usually related to the arupa realms to which Waharaka Thero responds that cannot be the case because Arahants still do āneñjābhisaṅkhāra and won’t be reborn in the arupa realms.
  • The reason it’s called āneñjābhisaṅkhāra is because, in the past, yogis believed the arupa realms were the ultimate solace and they wouldn’t be reborn anymore.
  • The arupa saṅkhāra may be called āneñjābhisaṅkhāra because of their lack of knowledge but are in fact puññābhisaṅkhāra.

To my understanding an Arahant does only perform Kriya, which are the kammically neutral actions. He also does not initiate a Kusala-Mula PS.
Āneñjābhisaṅkhāra are part of abhisaṅkhāra as is also mentioned in Paṭiccasamuppādavibhaṅga.

Either this is an older sermon, the subtitles are incomplete, or I’m missing something else entirely?

1 user thanked author for this post.