Reply To: “AI” vs. “Sentient-ness”

Lal
Keymaster

Even though ChatGPT can be pretty helpful (as I pointed out in the above comment), it makes silly mistakes. In particular, it does not have common sense (as expected from a non-sentient robot.) The following chats I had with it yesterday illustrate that point.

Me: It takes 5 hours for me to dry 5 shirts out in the Sun. How long would it take to dry 15 shirts?

ChatGPT4: 

Assuming that the drying time is directly proportional to the number of shirts, we can use a proportion to solve for the time it would take to dry 15 shirts.

If 5 shirts take 5 hours to dry, then 1 shirt takes 1 hour to dry.

Therefore, if 1 shirt takes 1 hour to dry, 15 shirts would take 15 times as long:

15 shirts x 1 hour/shirt = 15 hours

So, it would take 15 hours to dry 15 shirts out in the Sun, assuming similar drying conditions for all shirts.

Me:  There are four jugs with capacities of 1 3/4, 1, 1/2, and 1/4 cups. What is the minimum number of fills to fill the jug of 1 3/4 cup-capacity?

ChatGPT4:

We can fill the jugs with smaller capacities and use them to fill the larger jugs until the 1 3/4 cup-capacity jug is full.

First, we can use the 1/4 cup jug to fill the 1 3/4 cup-capacity jug. It would take 7 fills of the 1/4 cup jug to fill the 1 3/4 cup-capacity jug.

Next, we can use the 1/2 cup jug to fill the 1 cup jug. It would take 2 fills of the 1/2 cup jug to fill the 1 cup jug.

Then, we can use the 1 cup jug to fill the remaining 3/4 cup space in the 1 3/4 cup-capacity jug. It would take 3 fills of the 1 cup jug to fill the remaining space.

Therefore, the minimum number of fills to fill the jug of 1 3/4 cup-capacity is:

7 fills of the 1/4 cup jug + 2 fills of the 1/2 cup jug + 3 fills of the 1 cup jug = 12 fills

So, we need to fill and pour the jugs 12 times in total to fill the 1 3/4 cup-capacity jug.

Even a child can see that any number of shirts can be dried in one hour.

• The second answer is even worse. The jug of 1 3/4 cup capacity can be filled in one shot. But it is possible that one may think that other jugs must be used to fill it. Even in that case, just three fills (one with each smaller jug) can fill up the large jug.

ChatGPT must be used with caution. Even though it can be a good tool for researching literature, even there, sometimes it provides incorrect answers.

• Furthermore, pertaining to political issues, it just conveys the bias of the people who have trained it. 
  • The point is that ChatGPT, or any other AI application, will be as good/bad as it has been programmed/trained.
1 user thanked author for this post.