Reply To: Goenka´s Vipassana – Part 2

Lal
Keymaster

Jorg wrote: ‘I wrote that part the way sankhara is used in that tradition. That’s why i used the quotation marks (“sankharas”) to distinguish between actual sankhara and the way they use it. I don’t know if I made that clear enough? The physical sensations are basically described as “sankharas” that are supposedly manifestations of defilements. The more you practice in line with the tradition (equanimously obeserving pysical sensations) the more these sensations become subtle, and the calmer mind and body become. As far as I know, Goenka has never used the term sankhata. That would have made more sense, though.”

Should I be reading that section with the assumption that it (Goenka’s explanation) can logically explain what happens in a Goenka retreat?

• In other words, should I be abandoning Buddha Dhamma (temporarily) to understand this explanation?

Likely, I have not fully grasped your intention with this section. May be you can explain it a bit more (not in the essay/pdf but here.) I have not read the section carefully because it appeared to me that the section was not really about sankhara but more about sankhata.