Reply To: About SN22.95 Pheṇapiṇḍūpamasutta

LayDhammaFollower
Participant

Friends, I got bit of insight about this sutta;

#1 It says that saññā/perception is like mirage in desert. Only now, I start to realise the meaning and importance of it;

Due to vipreetha/distorted saññā, we perceive something which is not there; like mirage in desert;

Example of Cow;

Like cow seeing dry grass as green grass due to wearing green glasses and then eating it under this wrong perception!

Another example illustrating mirage like nature of saññā;

Perceiving someone as friend or foe; While, There is nothing such as friend or enemy in reality;

Is there any inherent property in anybody which makes them your ally or enemy? Why one person can be worst enemy of someone while someone else think of that same person as their best friend?

We basically hold onto something done/said by that person and we perceive that person based onto that part. (p.s. holding onto something is converting PañcakKhanda into PañcaUpādānakKhanda.)

For example, holding onto someone’s good behaviour might make us think of them as friend and holding onto someone’s bad behaviour or something negative makes us think of them as enemy.

Now, in mundane sense there can be friend or foe.

But, in ultimate reality there is no such thing as friend or foe more then there is mirage in desert.

So, we behave like donkey pulling cart (bearing painful PañcakKhanda), except not only carrot is not reachable but carrot in not there in first place! our perceived carrot (which is not only unattainable but is not there to begin with) is long term happiness; which is perceived as such due to three kinds of vipallāsa!

@Lal, Can you verify this insight? Is this correct way to understand mirage like nature of saññā?

===

#2 Also, Now I am bit curious; just as there is excellent reason behind comparison of saññā to mirage in desert …

Why RūpakKhanda is specifically compared to water foam and VedanāKkhanda to water bubble?

My guess on why vedanā is compared to water bubble;

Maybe it is because vedanā comes through “phassa paccayā vedanā” dependent on six senses, just like bubble all type of vedanā come and go very fast, like bubble on water.

Is this correct?

You said above in this thread;

– feeling (vedana) also foam (bubbles that appear when it rains and break quickly),

– vinnana to the trunk of a banana tree (which has no “hardcore” or essence); one becomes tired at the end.

While in sutta itself,

Rūpa is compared to water foam;

Vedanā is compared to water bubble;

Saññā is compared to mirage in desert;

Saṅkhāra are compared to wood of banana tree; empty and hollow without heart wood;

Viññāṇa is compared to magician’s trick;

===

#3 My guess on why viññāṇa is compared magician’s trick;

It is maybe because, kamma viññāṇa creates whole world (PañcakKhanda). Once we see the mechanism of formation of Kamma viññāṇa and how it brings result i.e. creates nāmarūpa, we are no longer fascinated by existence/sensory experience; so it is basically due to understanding nāmarūpa paricceda ñāṇa.

Is this correct?

===

#4 why saṅkhāra are compared to banana tree wood specifically?

1 user thanked author for this post.