Reply To: Difference between ajjhosānaṁ and tanha;

Lal
Keymaster

Yes. You bring up an excellent point.

1. Most people just know the steps in PS. They have no idea what each step means. One can write a book on each step, especially for the “tanha paccaya upadana” step. That is where we get attached to an arammana and start accumulating kamma.

• This is when we start generating abhisankhara with “avijja paccaya sankhara” and initiate numerous PS cycles going round and round. 
  • This sutta explains that step in a bit more detail. 
  • I have discussed that in “Taṇhā Paccayā Upādāna – Critical Step in Paṭicca Samuppāda” and “Difference Between Tanhā and Upādāna.” I may have used different terms, but the idea is the same.
  • Another relevant point is the importance of vaci sankhara, which is two-fold: (i) we first start thinking how to respond to an arammana, (ii) if our feelings get energized, we will start talking about it/asking about it, etc.

2. The following verses, starting with the verse you quoted, explain that:

9.1Iti kho panetaṁ, ānanda, vedanaṁ paṭicca taṇhā, taṇhaṁ paṭicca pariyesanā, pariyesanaṁ paṭicca lābho, lābhaṁ paṭicca vinicchayo, vinicchayaṁ paṭicca chandarāgo, chandarāgaṁ paṭicca ajjhosānaṁ, ajjhosānaṁ paṭicca pariggaho, pariggahaṁ paṭicca macchariyaṁ, macchariyaṁ paṭicca ārakkho. 9.2Ārakkhādhikaraṇaṁ daṇḍādānasatthādānakalahaviggahavivādatuvaṁtuvaṁpesuññamusāvādā aneke pāpakā akusalā dhammā sambhavanti.

10.1‘Ārakkhādhikaraṇaṁ daṇḍādānasatthādānakalahaviggahavivādatuvaṁtuvaṁpesuññamusāvādā aneke pāpakā akusalā dhammā sambhavantī’ti iti kho panetaṁ vuttaṁ, tadānanda, imināpetaṁ pariyāyena veditabbaṁ, yathā ārakkhādhikaraṇaṁ daṇḍādānasatthādānakalahaviggahavivādatuvaṁtuvaṁpesuññamusāvādā aneke pāpakā akusalā dhammā sambhavanti. 10.2Ārakkho ca hi, ānanda, nābhavissa sabbena sabbaṁ sabbathā sabbaṁ kassaci kimhici, sabbaso ārakkhe asati ārakkhanirodhā api nu kho daṇḍādānasatthādānakalahaviggahavivādatuvaṁtuvaṁpesuññamusāvādā aneke pāpakā akusalā dhammā sambhaveyyun”ti?

3. The English translation there gives some idea. But those verses need to be explained in one’s own words.

ajjhosānaṁ” means “really getting trapped in that arammana,” thinking, “should I do this or that? How can I get this for myself without others grabbing it?” , etc.

Feel free to ask further questions after reading those posts.