Reply To: About books by bhikku Katukurunde Nanananda

Lal
Keymaster

Be careful when dealing with Buddha Dhamma. It needs to be handled with respect. The Budha compared learning Dhamma to “handling a snake.” If handled in the wrong way, it can lead to bad consequences. I know you didn’t mean it. Don’t worry about it.

As for the writings by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Nanananda:

I read most of his writings a long time ago. He had a sharp mind. If he had listened to Waharaka Thero, that could have made a big difference.

He tried very hard to make sense of the Tipitaka. As you can see, he had read most of the suttas. But he could not make a coherent picture because he was not exposed to the fundamental teachings of the Buddha (anicca and anatta, among others). As you pointed out, he could not distinguish between phassa and samphassa either.
– His writings provide a good source of references. But I wouldn’t try to make sense of his explanations because of those reasons.

LayDhammaFollower wrote:
“This is quotations from English translation of “law of dependent arising” digital library edition, page. 49,

Whatever pertains to the ‘abhisaṅkhata-viññāṇa’ comes to cease in that all lustrous consciousness (sabbatopabha-viññāṇa). When light comes from all directions, consciousness becomes non-manifestative (‘viññāṇaṁ anidassanaṁ anantaṁ sabbatopabhaṁ’).”

Like many people in discussion forums today, he was intrigued by the verse viññāṇaṁ anidassanaṁ anantaṁ sabbatopabhaṁ. But his discussion does not make sense.
– That verse is explained in the post: “Anidassana Viññāṇa – What It Really Means
– More information in “Pabhassara Citta, Radiant Mind, and Bhavaṅga