Reply To: Approach to Dhamma

Jorg
Participant

Regarding the (possibly new) website and classifications or separation of different components of Buddha Dhamma, there are many ways to do it. However, the following things came to mind:

1.)
Terms like “beginner”/”advanced” may appear straightforward, but people who are very eager may more easily skip some essentials. They are either drawn to “advanced” stuff or don’t want to identify as a “beginner.” This applies only to certain types of people but we all know this can be pretty common. Especially people with a higher intellect.

2.)
I just used the word “essentials.” I was thinking a word such as this could help in the organization of things.
First, I know it wouldn’t be easy to sequence things in a specific order because that depends on where one is on the path. However, foundational posts could technically be grouped together. Don’t take the following literally, just a quick example:
Essentials #1 would contain posts about the basics of dhamma, e.g., miccha ditthi, dasa akusala, etc.
Essentials #2 would contain introductions to tilakkhana, PS.
Essentials #3 … and so on.
Numbering posts individually would be too complicated (and time-consuming) so this would be a bit easier to implement I reckon.
I used numbers but words or letters could also be used. The point is that one should be/get familiar with certain sections before moving ahead. That could strengthen one’s foundation and increase one’s ability to comprehend deeper stuff as one moves along.
References could always be made between sections.
In the main menu of a section, an emphasis could be made not to proceed unless one is familiar with “section so and so.”

I could work it out some more if this sounds useful in any way. Cause this is just the first thing that came to mind. I realize that it requires effort considering the vastness and depth of the content, though I see it as realistic nonetheless.
If it doesn’t sound useful, I’ll try and change my perspective.

@dosakkhayo
If you need any help, feel free to contact me at juirtleatmsndotcom