Reply To: If Dhātu Describes the Rūpa, How can I Understand Viññana Dhātu?

dosakkhayo
Participant

Thank you for the advice on the drawing/chart.

By the way, the links in post 39921 have an unmatching issue with their brief outline.

the outline says

“3. The second sutta says they all have the anicca nature (i.e., created due to causes and destroyed when those causes wear away). That is because that “creation/arising” happens via Paticca Samuppada. All bhava and jati end up in death.”

But in this context, the sutta should be SN18.9

So I think lal should either change the order of the two links or change the order of the outline.

In SN 26.9

What I understand in this sutta is the following.

The context say that six dhatu’s arising (pathavīdhātuyā uppādo, āpodhātuyā uppādo, tejodhātuyā uppādo, vāyodhātuyā uppādo, ākāsadhātuyā uppādo, viññāṇadhātuyā uppādo) are subjected to dukkha.

So, (in this context) pathavīdhātu, āpodhātu, tejodhātu, vāyodhātu, and ākāsadhātu mean the manomaya kaya(and also karaja kaya).

And viññāṇadhātu mean one’s own namaloka.

Therefore, If the six dhātu’s arising has stopped(nirodho), there is no more suffering (dukkhasseso nirodho).

(yo pathavīdhātuyā ~ viññāṇadhātuyā nirodho vūpasamo atthaṅgamo, dukkhasseso nirodho, rogānaṁ vūpasamo, jarāmaraṇassa atthaṅgamo.)

Six Root Causes – Loka Samudaya (Arising of Suffering) and Loka Nirodhaya (Nibbāna)

What Did the Buddha Mean by a “Loka”?

According to the two posts above, there is some correspondence of concepts between dhātu and loka.

Logically speaking, these two are concepts with different intensions(connotations) and the same extensions.

To put it simply, dhātu and loka have different definitions, but they indicate the same objects.

For example, there are different ways of describing the same triangle.

I can say that the length of the three sides of a given right triangle A is three, four, and five inches.

Using the application of determining the congruence of polygons, I can also say that right triangle A has three and four inches sides and its included angle is 90 degrees.

Though two statements have different points, both indicate the same object.

So, I think I can infer soundly that there is some compatibility in Pali keywords.

If there is an error, please let me know so that I can fix it.