Reply To: Three Questions About Nibbāna

Lal
Keymaster

1. This is why I often say that suttas cannot be translated word-by-word. They need to be explained in detail.
Sutta Interpretation – Uddēsa, Niddēsa, Paṭiniddēsa

2. The “Uṇṇābhabrāhmaṇa Sutta (SN 48.42)“ is a short sutta.
– But, it requires an understanding of 4NT/PS/Tilakkhana, at least to some extent.

3. If I am forced to summarize the following steps:

“manassa kho, brāhmaṇa, sati paṭisaraṇan”ti.
Satiyā kho, brāhmaṇa, vimutti paṭisaraṇan”ti.
Vimuttiyā kho, brāhmaṇa, nibbānaṁ paṭisaraṇan”ti.
“Accayāsi, brāhmaṇa, pañhaṁ, nāsakkhi pañhassa pariyantaṁ gahetuṁ. Nibbānogadhañhi, brāhmaṇa, brahmacariyaṁ vussati nibbānaparāyaṇaṁ nibbānapariyosānan”ti.

I may write:

A cleanse a mind is the help/refuge to Sammā Sati
To get to vimutti ñāṇa Sammā Sati helps/is required.
Vimutti ñāṇa is the way (help/refuge) to get to Nibbāna.
Once one reaches Nibbāna, no more progress to be made. That is the end of the effort!

– But, it requires even more explanation, especially for someone unfamiliar with the difference between sati and Sammā Sati, etc..

4. The verse before “Manassa pana, bho gotama, kiṁ paṭisaraṇan”ti?” is the following:
Pañcimāni, brāhmaṇa, indriyāni nānāvisayāni nānāgocarāni na aññamaññassa gocaravisayaṁ paccanubhonti. Katamāni pañca? Cakkhundriyaṁ, sotindriyaṁ, ghānindriyaṁ, jivhindriyaṁ, kāyindriyaṁ. Imesaṁ kho, brāhmaṇa, pañcannaṁ indriyānaṁ nānāvisayānaṁ nānāgocarānaṁ na aññamaññassa gocaravisayaṁ paccanubhontānaṁ mano paṭisaraṇaṁ, manova nesaṁ gocaravisayaṁ paccanubhotī”ti.
– That requires even more explanation.
– It is by not letting the five sense faculties (indriya) become ayatana that one cleanses the mind. That is explained in the post, “Indriya Make Phassa and Āyatana Make Samphassa” and the in the links therein.

5. Please don’t expect to learn Buddha Dhamma by reading suttas translated word-by-word. That is an impossibility.
– That is why I have several posts under “Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta.” Of course, those posts also refer to many more other posts!