Reply To: Making this jati useful?

Dawson
Participant

Hello Iodonyo,

Based upon what you’ve written, it’s difficult to assess where you feel you are (on the path). With that being said, the single most important thing is ensuring that you are in fact on the noble path. All efforts made should be to that end. I once heard Wallasmulle Thero liken it to having insurance; a) it’s much better to have it than not have it, and b) you want the best insurance you can get.

A mistake that can be made is believing that once on the path, one’s focus shifts to some more esoteric aspects of Dhamma. On the contrary – the fundamentals (The four noble truths, the three characteristics, etc) will always be one’s northern light.

The path is an iterative process; you go around and around with these fundamentals and appreciate their implications with greater depth and clarity. So regarding anicca, dukkha, anatta, and asubha, that might result in a sense of ‘complete disinterest’ right now, but contemplating this aspects will result in a resounding letting go.

I’d go as far to say that Anapanasati and Satipatthana provides everything an Ariya needs to ‘get the job done’.

Good luck and I hope you’re able to progress smoothly.