Reply To: Post on “Sakkāya Diṭṭhi – Getting Rid of Deeper Wrong Views”

LayDhammaFollower
Participant

Can someone clarify what would be difference between two views,
“I am my Body” vs “My body is Me”?

They both seem to me same thing.

However difference last two views that is
When someone says “my body is IN me” or “I am IN my body” they clearly think there is somethings else which is actually his essence.

EDIT:

This doubt came to me due to reading above replies. In which views are “I am body”, “my body is me”, “My body is in me”, “I am in my body “.

However, in the revised post by lal, the views written are “My body is equivalent to me” and “My body represents me”.

IF THIS IS THE CASE, then it becomes much easier to understand. “my body is equivalent to me” means without the body there would no renewed life of that being just like materialistic scientist’s view.

However CRITICAL THING TO UNDERSTAND IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACTUAL VIEW OF LIFE (i.e. Buddhist view) VS “THIS BODY REPRESENTS ME” View.

The materialistic view is easy to disregard, if one believes in rebirth then obviously something is taking rebirth. So there would be two kinds of views which would emerge. One is that “self” in this life is same as “self” in previous life. Another is that it is not same. Former view is wrong. Latter view is correct view.

In the actual true view of life, there is no permanent essence/Self/”I”/Me/Soul at any point in any lifestream anywhere There is only constantly changing mental body created based on strongest kammic energies present at those times.

However when one is of view that “My body represents me”, there is obviously window that in future “I” would represented by some new body, which would represent SAME “I” as right now, at that time. Which is wrong.