1. Visuddhimagga and the Wikipedia article you cited, can lead to confusion.
– That is why I say that most of the English translations out there are very difficult to “sort out”.
– Visuddhiagga mixed up Buddha’s teachings with Vedic teachings. That is clearly evident in his adaptation of “breath meditation” as Anapanasati and the use of kasina objects.
2. Patisambhidamagga is the only reliable source in that article. Both Vimuttimagga and Visuddhimagga include non-Buddhist teachings.
– Thus I would not trust that Wikipedia article. It takes too much effort even to try to sort things out.