Reply To: Anicca in Abhidhamma

LayDhammaFollower
Participant

Following are various ways to analyse Aniccā. I don’t know abhidhamma reference, but, I think this are sufficient. Others can add their input/comments.

pañcakKhanda and PañcaUpādānaKhandha are Aniccā.

Case #1: You fulfill PañcaUpādānaKhandha, you strech you own Samsarā. You are bound to seperate from that Rūpa in PañcaUpādānaKhandha. Meanwhile immoral efforts to aquire much desired PañcaUpādānaKhandha Rūpa, would certainly lead to apāyā. Again apāyā is Aniccā. Seperation from liked Rūpa is Aniccā. Meeting unliked

Case #2 Despite much efforts to possess desired Rūpa in PañcaUpādānaKhandha, you fail. Not meeting liked will produces distress. While still having kammā viññana for such Rūpa and doing sankhāra under that viññana, would again elongate your own Samsarā. Would leads to jati various bhava depending on type of saṅkhāra done for that desired Rūpa.

So, both types of PañcaUpādānaKhandha would lead to birth, all births would lead to much suffering IN FUTURE, guaranteed. Unless ofcourse one is ariya. All Jeth would lead to old age, illness and death. All birth would lead to grief, pain, distress , despair, depression etc.

———-

So, saññā, vēdanā, viññana, Rūpa and saṅkhāra are all Aniccā, not to liking. Cannot be kept as one wishes.

Six senses /internal rupa are Aniccā. We have unliked contacts through six senses, seperate from liked contacts producing dukkha.

Six external Rūpa are Aniccā.
We meet unliked arammana, seperate form liked arammana.

Jati, viparinama, jara of any saṅkhata are not-to-liking/Aniccā

All jati and/or bhava of any lifestream in 31 realms is subject to exhaustion/finite. So, they are Aniccā. Jara is certain. One’s new jati/bhava is Aniccā. Not as one wishes.

Samphass is not to liking.
(Consequences of samphassa is Aniccā)

Upādāna is not to liking.
(Consequences of upādāna is Aniccā)

Tanha is not to liking.
(Consequences of tanha is Aniccā)

Having seperation from liked is Aniccā.

Not meeting liked is Aniccā.

——

In short, whatever not to liking would produces suffering hence, anicaa.

Since, all saṅkhata goes through stage of jati, viparinama, jara; they are all not to liking. Hence, all saṅkhata will produces dukkhā, hence, no saṅkhata is worthy of calling mine. All things are saṅkhata in this world, except nibbanā, nibbanā is only asaṅkhata.

Hence, whole world is Aniccā → produces dukkhā → not worthy of calling mine/not true refuge/cannot be controlled as one wishes/anattā.

——

In short,

Meeting/having unliked,
Not meeting/seperating from liked,

Whatever not to one’s desire/wishes,
What not to one’s satisfaction,
Whatever not to one’s expectations,

All PRODUCES SUFFERING HENCE ANICCĀ.

——

All arammana, saṅkhata and saṅkhāra either having directly visible suffering or hideen suffering. They all produce suffering, either immediately or eventually.